What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maxima Cutting Help!

Hey guys,

I received my first Nep cutting from Pyro(thank you!), and I did the usual stuff...cut off the bottom leaf completely, notched the bottom of the cutting, and cut the top leaves in half. However, the top two leaves do not look good and are turning a yellowish color. Is this normal for the leaves to start looking sickly? Also, where does the new growth usually come out of? Here is a pick...
DSCN3707.jpg

Thanks for any help,

Zach

It's probably fine. My Trichocarpa cutting has no leaves at all and it still made 3 growth points.

You might cut off the yellow leaf near the stem so the plant doesn't waste its energy trying to keep it alive.

I've often wondered if the plant wastes energy futility trying to keep dying leaves alive, or if it undergoes controlled apoptosis and reuses the building blocks to make new cells.

I've often wondered if the plant wastes energy futility trying to keep dying leaves alive, or if it undergoes controlled apoptosis and reuses the building blocks to make new cells.

Hmm.... My theory is to leave everything alone unless it's brown.

Oh yeah, the shoots come out just above the leaves, you'll know when you see little bumps above where the leaves protrude.

Ron, isn't there orchid paste you can use on neps to activate dormant nodes?

Would it work?

You can use keiki pro. It is better than that keiki paste stuff and youdon't have to take special precautions with it like the otehr stuff. I am experimenting with it right now on many things.

Mine is doing the same thing, but I've been noticing activity on my nodes. Look in the 'arm pit' of your leaf, I think I can even see one growing in your blurry picture. 8)

Back