What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who else grows vieillardii?

Who else is growing this species? My plant grows well and quickly (especially for its size), but hasn't made pitchers for me yet. For some reason, 3 out of the 6 or so leaves it's made since I got it have had the tendrils fry. The others haven't inflated yet.

My conds: 80-93°/65-70% day
73-76°/70-74% night.
About 2 or 3 inches from 2 "cool white" T12s.
Soil: fir bark, charcoal, acrillite, peat, perlite, vermicutile. I mix the last three ingredients in a 5:2:2 ratio, and it makes up about 10% of the total mix. The fir/char/acr are about 1:1:1, and make up about 90% of the mix.

I have one somewhere, never really pay much attention to it so I can not say how it is doing other than it is not dead (or I would have tossed it)

It is in my highland area so temps are ~23 day/~18 night with about 5 degree flux over the course of the year. It is 1m below a 400W HID. Media is mainly cyprus (75%) with a bit of osmuda, charcoal, perlite and LFS (25% combined)

Hmmm. I asked on pitcherplants and 2 people there are growing it HL, and one LL (besides me). Does it do well HL besides not dying? It's altitude range is 30-800m, and even though I've never been to New Caledonia, I can't imagine it gets all too cold there at night, especially at elevations like that.

When I tried growing it outside/window with the other lowlander/intermediates it sulked and near died. I tossed it in the highland area as a last ditch and it turned around in a flash so I left it there. Never made much sense to me as I knew it was classed as a lowlander but I figure the plant knows what it wants...

Cindy provided me a link on pitcherplants. Turns out the one clone that is circulating for some reason does prefer HL conditions. Apparently BE could never get them out of the rosette stage when grown in LL conds.

That is kind of disappointing, especially since it comes from such a low altitude, and I don't (nor will I ever) have HL conditions.

Cindy provided me a link on pitcherplants.

Mind pasting it here? Be interested in reading it.

Turns out the one clone that is circulating for some reason does prefer HL conditions.

The joys of genetics.

Pure speculation on my part but it is possible that BE source material was from one of the higher elevation populations and that the conditions there were more highland then lowland. Strange geography can make for unusual microclimates...

Back