What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting question?

I just got two 20" cuttings of a n. alata and was wondering if I should cut the cuttings down to get more cuttings and what is the best way to root them?

I usually do 3 node cuttings, some people frequently do 1-node cuttings and have success (but I don't). Cut the stem at an angle, the slice it with a razor blade either twice (like a plus sign) or 3 times (like an asterisk), dip in rooting hormone, put in something that stays moist. Try either 5:2:2 peat/perlite/vermiculite or 1:1 sphag/perlite (or you could put bark in there too). The above, with 2 slits and the sphag/perlite/bark mix is the "Ludwig Method" lol. I just tried it out myself, and here's a thorelii x truncata after 2 or 3 weeks (not kidding!):

DSCN0287.jpg

Thanks for the info, I think I will go with the 1:1 LFS and perlite mix, should I cut the leaves back? All of the leaves have a tendril and one has a flower, should I cut it off also?

edit; what type of pot should I use for the cuttings? I have some tall plastic cups that look like they would work good. Also what type of lighting do the cuttings need? I do believe the cuttings came from a plant that has been growing outside.

I only cut the leaves back if the plant starts to look dessicated from not cutting them. Lots of people say you should cut them, lots say you don't need to. Personally, since the leaves produce IAA/IBA ("rooting hormone"), it seems counterintuitive to cut them unless its absolutely necessary, and even then, cutting no more than needed. I'd cut off the flower.

I don't think pot type really matters, as long as it's not a shallow pan or something, and has drainage holes. Cuttings are most successful in the brightest light possible. I root them (and the Ludwig Method as well calls for) VERY bright, and VERY wet.

I recently took cuttings from an N. albomarginata and a N. gracilis All of the cuttings were one node except for the very end of the vine which I left one node and the growth point. I usually make single node cuttings. Almost every time I've made a multiple node cutting, all of the nodes become active and I don't like the way the plants look. For example, if it's a three node cutting, there will be three growing points and I end up making cuttings of these and rooting them separately anyway.

I use a similar technique to PK. I make cuts at an angle to increase the amount of surface area that comes in contact with rooting hormone. I root all of my cuttings in pure LFS in 2 or 3" plastic pots, just whatever I have handy.

I have tried both cutting the leaves in half and leaving them intact. and I've noticed no difference. One of my N. albomarginata cuttings has been growing significantly slower than the other two, but it wasn't browning, so I just haven't worried about it. I was cleaning out the terrarium I use for my cuttings today and I noticed that the leaf is actually producing a pitcher. It seems all of the energy is going to the pitcher, not the growth of the node.

I'd definitely cut the flower off.

Will

The cutting in the water approach works. I am one for one with it:

HPIM0856-1.jpg

HPIM0857-1.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

Back