What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.Northiana in the wilds

After many attempt to reach one of the peaks of northiana’s limestone hill the chance came where we found an accessible though with danger negotiating the razor sharp pinnacles and at times the only safety to ascent and descent were the exposed roots.
Along the way coming face to face with plants growing on the cliff surfaces nontheless were northiana, orchids, and begonias, jewel orchids in more shelter and moist location.

Since the sites were undisturbed the northianas were mostly huge and matured. Young seedlings growing among the protruding and exposed but inaccessible part of the pinnacles.

Macodes sp.
DSCN2891.jpg

Orchids associated with limestone hills and mts.
DSCN2906.jpg

Begonias
DSCN2903.jpg

DSC_2234.jpg

Many northiana seedlings were this size with beautiful lips and pitcher coloration
DSCN2887.jpg

DSCN2885.jpg

Small seedlings grown on barren cliff wall
DSCN2898.jpg

One of the matured pitcher hidden on a recess cliff wall
DSCN2900.jpg

One of the giant size pitchers with the uppers. Plants were scrambling on low shrubs. Tall trees were totally absent.

Leaves length about 1 meter.

DSCN2928.jpg

DSCN2931.jpg

DSCN2922.jpg

DSCN2912.jpg

DSCN2916.jpg

DSCN2934.jpg

Length and size comparison with a 1500ml water bottle
DSCN2927.jpg

I'm at a loss for words

Spectaculur. By far the best northiana I've ever seen, in cultivation or in the wild. You make me wish I had a lowland setup.:banana2:

man! I have to give this plant a shot. However....I don't think it will like my conditions at all.

I'm not a bug, and I still have the urge to go look inside and explore some of those pitchers because they are so vibrant and beautiful!!

OMG!!!!!! Robert! Those were so awesome!!! Wow! I can't wait to see my northiana when it gets that large! WOW!!!

Incredible pictures (and pitchers!). I am most intrigued with that seedling growing on the side of the cliff. Nature always finds a way, doesn't it?

Simply amazing.

WOW I wish it were highland, it is difficult to provide lowland condtions here without terrariums and it will eventually outgrow a terrarium.
Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing :-O

The color of that pitcher in the 2nd to last pic is amazing.

Also - I don't think I've seen many Northiana uppers. Thanks for taking pictures!

I'm not a bug, and I still have the urge to go look inside and explore some of those pitchers because they are so vibrant and beautiful!!

Haha

If I were a bug, I wouldnt last very long, every VFT, Drosera, Sarracenia, and Nepenthes would catch me in a second, dam my curiosity

The color of that pitcher in the 2nd to last pic is amazing.

Also - I don't think I've seen many Northiana uppers. Thanks for taking pictures!

yes that is my favorite to.

This makes me want to grow Lowlanders.

Thanks for the viewing and hilarious comments.
Northiana was one of my favourite too. Northiana of this size are not uncommon. I have scale and visited many site and there are always more than one matured plant bearing such size and vibrant colour. In cultivation i believe it can be achieved, with the correct conditions.

spectacular pictures, thanks for sharing!

absolutly incredible :0o:

Back