What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody have grown-ups?

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
So I was driving home tonight, and was absorbed in my own thoughts. I was thinking about plants that were available for purchase, etc., and realized that there are many Nepenthes which do not seem to have mature photos from captivity online, that I can find at least. For example, I can never seem to find pictures of N. Lowii upper pitchers in captivity. They always seem to be in the wild. Now, I understand that N. Lowii might be an exception, as it is a very slow grower, but I have seen pictures of really large N. Rajahs, so I don't think that that is the reason. So, are these mature pictures of pitchers absent because the species hasn't been in cultivation long enough? Or are people just not taking pictures? I would love to see some photos of indoor grown mature N. Lowiis, or other plants of such epic proportions. (None are coming to mind right now, but I know I can think of more. Maybe an edit later?) I have a feeling PK will have some great answer for this. How long have most of our commonly for sale Neps been in cultivation?

I think its a combo of both. Not too many people have mature specimens of some species, and not all of them that do take pics/are on the forums. BE and EP have both shown pics of multiple lowii uppers in their collections. Most of the plants we have have been in cultivation for a while. Veitchii has been in cultivation since what....early 1800s? Something like that.....
Most of the common LLs have been around since the 1800s: veitchii, raff, mirabilis, amp, etc. Look at the Victorian hybrids for a hint.

If you look around, you can find pics of huge mature raffs, bicals, (rarely) merrillianas, etc. EP probably has the most diverse range of mature species, with Leilani in 2nd place, since they use the plants for breeding.

I don't see much mature insignis though, except in the wild. I barely see any neo as well.

Back