What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kinda awkward question

• Thread starter upper
  • Start date

upper

Capensis Killer
you know some people plant their tomatoes and stuff upside down and it does pretty good for some of them. i was wondering if hanging a nepenthese upside down will have any effect on it except for the fact that the pitcher will look upright.

Yeah, I've noticed no matter how funky of an angle a pitcher develops at, it always uprights itself in the end.

-Max

yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't forget to put some tape on the pitcher so the water won't spill:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

I have already tried something like that, and it turns out that basal growth pops out from the lower stem like crazy, and might even grow through the root ball and emerge at the other end. - Rich

Even tomato plants grown upside down will turn up towards the sun.

I think it might be pretty cool to do that though and get basal shoots coming out in all directions of the open pot. Have a ball of nepenthes!

What is the intended benefit of growing tomato's upside down? I've heard of it, but never read much about it.

xvart.

donno, but i think it has something to do with circulation, like when we're upside down, you feel the blood rushing through your head. something like that i guess.

I have no clue JC, but I have some pots to do it. LOL Mom gave me some. I don't eat fresh tomatoes though.

I found this
At first glance, this might look like an unusual way to grow tomatoes. But Jim Appleby from Iowa has discovered several benefits to hanging his tomatoes in buckets. First, the air can circulate better so the plants have almost no disease problems. Second, the fruit doesn’t rot as quickly as that on the ground. And finally, some critters that eat tomatoes have trouble getting to the ripening fruit.

I would have to figure out there to hang them, but I might just to say I did. I would then send them to you for shipping. LOL Dunno how they will fair with the US soccer team shipping them. The last few boxes I received look like they were kicked around a few times.

Kinda like this?
P1010182.jpg

I'm going to have more tomatoes than we're going to know what to do with. If you are serious X, I just might be able to help you out :).

To stay on topic, I think doing the upside down thing with a nep would be a neat experiment. Like many have suggested, it would be a good way to get a lot of offshoots.

Crystal

Yes Crystal, a box like that. Shipped by out great US soccer team. And they have been getting worse lately. Like they don't give a total rats but about the package contents. I had a guy at the post office just twirling the box right in front of me when i had to go pick up a package. Then slammed it down. I was like WOOOOOOOO that is fragile. "Well it don't say it on the box", I was like, "but it is. I know what is in the box!!!" I was hot. damn post office workers. Every box should be treated as if it is fragile. There is No damn excuse for a package to look like that when you or I get it. That just burns me up. Ok thats about as off topic as you can get and a long enough rant about out US soccer team.

The upside down growing also helps with space issues and possibly critters as well. A shepherd's hook in the yard with inverted 'maters would be harder for rabbits and squirrels to get to and it would free up ground space for more important plants-like peppers!

What is the intended benefit of growing tomato's upside down? I've heard of it, but never read much about it.

xvart.

In addition to the pest/environmental control benefits already mentioned, I've been told that the lack of vertical stems throws off the hormonal communication of the plant and fools it into more vigorous growth and fruiting. (Auxins or whatever pooling at the growth points cause every point on the plant to think it's the leader.) The same thing happens with Neps, I think, but you don't need to turn them totally upside-down; just allow the stem to fall over the edge of the pot or grow horizontally. I got several basals from one plant after it started to sag on the stake I tied it to, and all the only difference was a little U-shaped bend halfway up the stem.
~Joe

Back