What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who uses Maxsea?

Based on what I've read on a few forums, I went ahead and ordered some Maxsea 16-16-16 seaweed fertilizer.

I know that everyone has their preferred fertilizers and methods for applying them, but I'd like to hear specifically from those that use this particular brew as to how you use it.

I have filled some pitchers on the neps that have them, and poured it into the pot of a different one and will experiment for myself but I'm curious to hear others' experiences.

Do you use the 2 level teaspoons per gallon as directed? What is working for you folks?

Thanks!

I picked some up too :) So I wonder what you've played with and such... Anyone else that uses it, feel free to chime in as well. Hopefully more people will join in than when this topic was created. 0_0

Andrew

I use this on my neps 1/2 strength and a flush 24hr's after.
works great, it is a chemical fert if you look @ the ingredients.
key is flush well

Hi zero!
That would be 1/2 strength of...outdoor containers?

Andrew

I use 1 tsp/gal. about once a month, less often in the winter, and it's applied an hour or two after a regular watering. (It also encourages rapid growth of sphagnum, which is a mixed blessing!)

So you don't rinse it out after? I do use LFS- the majority of my neps are in 50/50 lfs/perlite. I'm fine with some sphagnum growth! but not with the rapid lfs decay I've heard mentioned when not rinsing out the pot a few days after feeding.

So you don't rinse it out after? I do use LFS- the majority of my neps are in 50/50 lfs/perlite. I'm fine with some sphagnum growth! but not with the rapid lfs decay I've heard mentioned when not rinsing out the pot a few days after feeding.

I don't rinse it out before a day, at the earliest. Many of my Nepenthes are watered daily, larger pots every two to three days (except in winter). Also, I use little or no lfs in the potting mix for most plants. With a few exceptions, I just use live sphagnum as a top dressing, or as the sole ingredient in small baskets:

1-31.jpg

0-87.jpg

adnedarn, I looked at the maxsea container, I use 1 teaspoon per gallon. If you have LFS as part of your potting medium I would flush well the next day. It will break down LFS over time, Though if the LFS already established it will grow well with the fertilizer.

I use 1 tsp/gal. about once a month, less often in the winter, and it's applied an hour or two after a regular watering. (It also encourages rapid growth of sphagnum, which is a mixed blessing!)

Encourages growth of sphagnum? Not for me. The instant I apply any kind of fertilizer it breaks down.

Ilbasso, I use it full strength (2 heaping teaspoons per gallon as directed) and use it about twice a week. I never "flush" the pots on purpose, but I just water them when they look dry.

I've gotten amazing results from the stuff on N. maxima, aristo, densiflora (weak clone), ramispina, spectabilis x ventricosa, "Caesar", etc. as well as on heliamphora hybrids, cephalotus, and even my U. reniformis "giant"!

Be cautious if you decide to use full strength, cause some kinds will be burned. These are campulanata, (hamata?!), macrophylla, and ovata.

But only on the campy is the burning serious. Most fail to make developed tendrils but put out enormous leaves. I stopped application of maxsea for a couple weeks and the pitchers develop on the newer leaves.

If you wanna see wicked sick growth you might also wanna try oscmocote slow release pellets. I put a handful of pellets in each pot. It breaks down the media - but they grow as fast or faster than with application of maxsea.

Have fun!

Killer plants guy - is that a hairy Hamata? Looking good!

I use maxsea on all my neps, in the same manner that KPG does. I'm sold on the results. I find that it breaks down dead lfs, but live lfs seems to like it.

Capslock

I have no experience , and I don't understand using live LFS as potting media. Doesn't LFS need water logged conditions, while neps like to dry out a little?
Can anyone explain how this works?

Alec

I have no experience , and I don't understand using live LFS as potting media. Doesn't LFS need water logged conditions, while neps like to dry out a little?
Can anyone explain how this works?

Alec

Live Long Fibered Sphagnum is mostly used as a top-dressing because it has a nice green lush appearance to it. When LFS is used as the actual growing media however, it is usually dried dead LFS (preferably shredded). Live LFS just needs to stay moist and be watered frequently, which is fine as a topdressing because it will retain moisture. If you have a quick-draining mix and water daily, this works out nicely. Just a note, live LFS will die with no sunlight, so even if it was actually used as a growing medium, it would be dead soon enough.

Daniel

I have over the past few years been growing Nepenthes in the greenhouse under mist and in a section that is hard to reach so that I do not fertilize them. I am about to add a fertilizer injection system to the mist this will slowly release fertilizer into the mist itself and I am wondering what kind of effect it will have on my larger plants as well as my smaller ones.

Back