What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bayer Advance, 3 in 1 Disease & Mite Control

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Has anyone used this product for Neps and mite control? I've had very good luck with Bayer Advance Dual Action Rose & Flower Insect Killer for aphids and such in the past, but it doesn't seem to cover mites.

Thanks!
Nathan

I have not used that exact product, but I do use the Bayer Advanced "Complete brand Insect Dust for Gardens" on Neps and Helis for mites

However, it is nothing more then Permethrin (personally I avoid anything that contains fungicides)

I mix up the powder with RO water and spray the plant with it, works very well... but the powder residue remains on the plant for extended periods... which is very good functionally for mites but bad cosmetically

Permethrin is the primary ingredient in most flea/tick products IIRC

HTH's
Av

edit: There is some controversy about the use of Permethrin for mites, if used outside it will kill the beneficial insects that feed on the mites, possibly increasing the problem... but indoors it has always seemed to work well for me.

Last edited:
However, it is nothing more then Permethrin (personally I avoid anything that contains fungicides)

Any reason why you avoid the fungicides?

I use beneficial fungi and bacteria which are antagonistic and parasitic to the phytopathogens

the chemical methods only open the door for future problems IMHO, Ive not used chemical fungicides in over 5 yrs now, and fungal attacks have been completely eliminated

I prefer the use of Trichoderma, Bacillus and a host of other beneficial organisms

Av

Av, I got the powder that you recommended. One last question, what ratio do you use of powder to RO water?

Nathan, its nothing that i really measure... but guessing a couple tablespoons per cup of water... it looks like and has the viscosity of milk when i apply it... once dried there is a definite white residue left on the plant.. and that residue stays there for a long time... so I dont worry about the normally recommended reapplication after 2-3 wks.

Av

Hehe what timing, I applied it today. Looks as you described. I think after they are killed off I'll be in good shape! Thanks for the advice!!

Word of caution to others though, the stuff once mixed with water does not like to be used in sprayers. I had a heck of a time getting mine to keep working in order to apply it to all the neps.

Where does one obtain Trichoderma?
I have this damn white powdery fungus that keeps killing my seedlings and is rapidly spreading all over my stuff. It has become resistant to the mancozeb/sulfur based fungicide I had been using.

So... despite the fact that this thread is four years old, I was wondering, Butch, if you noticed any harm wrought upon your live sphagnum when applying this permethrin product?

Mato, I havent used it in years.... dont think so, but dont remember really

haha well.. do you still recommend it?

for mites?..... im not a good one to ask, knock on wood, but mites are not something i have issues with. They dont seem to thrive under my conditions.

Ive heard good thing about the bayer 3 in 1 with miticide, but i would ask around

sorry mate,

Back