What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tiny woody pitchers?

For some reason my N. Ventricosa has a little pointy pitcher shaped thing on the end of each tendril. The pointy thing is all brown and woody or something, and they haven't grown into pitchers yet. I'm kindof worried that there might be some problem with my plant, and I want to find out what's wrong so I can fix it and have it grow pitchers. What am I doing wrong? I tried to take pictures but they are too hard to see.

Well, we can't really find out without picture. If it brown and somewhat hairy, it should grow into a pitcher. I'm not sure.

Ok I'll try to describe it better. They are about 1/2 to 1 cm in length, wider than thick, are the shape of a pitcher (Lid is visible, round-ish bottom), the lid-ish thing is pointy, there are little lines running on the pitcher, the tendril is orange-ish and healthy looking but the pitcher thing is brown and hard.

That is normal...if the plant is happy with your conditions, those will inflate and turn into pitchers. One thing you should do is make sure that you don't change conditions often. Keep it in the same place and it should eventually pitcher. N. ventricosa is very tolerant of a wide range of conditions.

So when I water it and some of the water goes down into the tray under the pot, should I leave it there or dump it out? Also, is a 4 inch pot good for a ventricosa about 8 inches wide?

Does it look like this?
SN851252.jpg

Does it look like this?
SN851252.jpg

Kindof... Except most of them don't have those little spines on them. The one that does is the newest one on the leaf that hasnt even fully opened up yet. About how long should it take those to grow into a full pitcher?

I would say...a week to about 10 days, or so.

if your comditions are right they will turn into pitchers...if not they will stay like that. try to give it more light

Back