What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.ventriosa

I have a N.ventricosa that is about 30cm high that has a smaller plant growing out of the stem at the bottom.The larger part is not very healthy and has no pitchers but the small bit growing from the stem is very healthy and has a couple of pithers.I was wondering if it would hurt the plant if i cut the big bit off and let the little bit grow.

It's called a basal.... and it is taking energy away from the larger mother plant.
Try seperating the two (pot them both back up), the larger plant should perk up and come back.

Its is growing out of the stem about an 1inch of the ground

Then try cutting it off and treating like a cutting.

I wouldn't do that. I'd cut the vine ABOVE the basal shoot, and try maybe to root a portion of that, but devote the existing rootstock to the part of the plant that's healthy.

Capslock

Hey Capslock: I have a Nepenthes that is in a similar situation. The mother plant is starting to produce smaller and smaller leaves, while the basal continues to thrive and get bigger. Would you recommend I cut off the mother plant and try to root that, leaving the basal to take advantage of the established root stock?

That's certainly what I'd do! Makes sense to me to cater to the healthy part, and try to salvage something out of the unhealthy part (by trying to root a cutting from it).

Capslock

I will cut the mother plant off and try some cuttings, and let the basal grow.

Back