What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Alta from a garden center

At least the tag said N. Alta.

nalta.jpg

I couldn't pass it up for how big the plants they had were and they were going for $16.99. My question is this plant already looks cramped, should I get it into a bigger pot asap? Also the pitchers are all dry, will that take care of itself once something falls in, or do they rely on rainwater falling in?

I heard that it's vibration in the pitchers that causes them to make digestive juices, then the juice should stay in after it makes some. So I guess if you put a fly or something in one, or just shook the pitcher some, it would eventually make some juices. I also heard that putting water in them makes the pitchers last longer but dilutes the digestive juices.

lol.... alta. There is a hybrid called 'alta may'.... Nice alata/ventrata? though, I wish my garden centers carried neps.

It doesn't look too cramped to me.

The pitchers fill themselves up before they first open, I have heard that pouring water in will make them last longer. I don't think insect vibration has anything to do with it....

the speculation was that the digestive juices are produced once the vibration is there while the pitchers contain water....i'm sure one of the many nep growers were will clarify that for you.

I'm pretty sure that's N. x ventrata.

Im gonna find out about the digestive juices pretty soon, cause I just went outside and there are flys all over it desperatly trying to find what smells so yummy. :-))

looks like my ventrata but more lively and one year younger. My mine has a 2 ft stem and about 7 basal shoots all of which as growing quite nicely. They grow up so fast:*)

Hey, it's still a fine Nepenthes plant, and an attractive healthy one at that! - Rich

Back