What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps just arrived.....

Ok, so my new nepenthes arrived today, the N.gentle, but it has a stick in it and compared to my other neps its massive. Its tied to the stick and is a good foot and half maybe 2 foot tall. Everything is huge, compared to my other neps The other one is a N.tobacia which is tiny, probably young. But why is the gentle tied to a stick? I'm assuming its pretty important so I left it when I repotted it.

Probably to keep it from flopping over and/or to support it a little extra in shipping. I have a miranda that is propped against a couple of sticks to take some stress off of the plant that is bending under the weight.

Why would it bend over? Wouldn't it like......die or something if it dud that in the wild?

Nepenthes are vining plants. They climb. The stick simulates the upward growth. A vine needs something to grab on to and won't just grow straight up forever. Some Nepenthes scramble across the ground, too.

Why would it die if it was on the ground?

xvart.

If it flopped over how can it catch anything? Why wouldn't it survive?

If it flopped over how can it catch anything? Why wouldn't it survive?

Nepenthes can grow fine without bug supplements. If it grows along the ground, the pitchers will still grow upright. If it topples over, it might lose a bunch of pitchers that have already formed, but the new ones would still grow upright and function as normal.

If you've seen pictures with the tendrils of pitchers curved around and looping in circles it is because they are trying to wrap around something, to give the plant support. This helps them scramble up trees, bushes, and whatever else it can grab on to. Unfortunately, in the wild, Nepenthes seed does not always conveniently land next to a tree or other method of climbing so they just grow however they can. It's like Jurassic Park: life will find a way.

xvart.

Why would it bend over? Wouldn't it like......die or something if it dud that in the wild?

You sort of answered your own question. Unless you're living in a rainforest, your neps are probably not wild therefore they'll need a bit of help. As xvart said, they like to climb up things-like tomato plants do. You don't see metal tomato cages growing in the wild because plants find things to climb up out there. If they don't, they may just grow their vines out along the ground. That'd be problematic at home. In the wild, they aren't subjected to vine-snapping hazards like people, pets, vacuum cleaners, owners that just can't leave them alone (guilty here!) like a plant allowed to just grow out on your living room floor would face.

They bend...well, because of gravity. Toss a couple of heavy pitchers on top of a little twig of a vine and it'll probably bend. As long as the vine doesn't break, there's no reason that it would die from simply bending over.

I have a few pitchers that have tendrils looped twice, I'll stick a couple more canes in the pot :) Either way, I don't want my plant huuging the floor, or in this case, my windowsil. :D

Ok, here is the N.gentle, my arm is so you can see how tall it is
2008_07170012.jpg

And one of its pitchers
2008_07170011.jpg

Here is the N.tobacia
2008_07170008.jpg

2008_07170007.jpg

Apparently the tobacia is 3 years old???

Back