What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highlander/intermediates that can grow as lowlanders.

Hi, all...

I live in Miami FL. I've been growing for about 6 years and am interested in trying out some intermediate/highlander species here. I am willing to experiment (ieI got a nice raise :) ), since different clones have somewhat different tolerances. Of course, I would get these when weather cools down here so they don't go into shock from Miami summer.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd like to try:
sibuyanensis
mikei
fusca
copelandii
Any input?

I am trying vogelii and will get a couple of highland truncata soon. So far vogelli is doing well...

Thanks, Jonathan

Highland truncatas will acclimate just fine to lowland conditions. Sibuyenensis might grow fine as long as very high humidity. The others on your list probably not. Need that nightly temp drop to upper 50's low 60's. Another good one is N. khasiana grows very well all year for me.

I have a mikei growing well in 90 degree temps here in GA. It is under 50% shade cloth and two layers of plastic that cuts the light down a little more. I water every other day. i think I might need to water every day soon though. My fusca's are stalling because I just repotted them and they didn't like it. One is starting to grow slowly again though. Copelandii has slowed down and lost pitchers but its still putting the out too. One of my sibuyensis is pitchering and growing the larger one is showing signs of heat stress but still growing. I also have a tentaculata that is starting not to pitcher but still growing. Jungle bells and ventricosa 'hotlips' are growing fine. Sanguinea is growing fine and getting larger. I have all three of those in slat baskets that do dry between waterings. red dragon is not liking the heat and loosing its pitchers, but growing.

I've grown N eymae, N ventricosa, and N khasiana in lowland conditions and they grow just fine over here in Puerto Rico.

Joel

I would think N. fusca might work, and truncata is a universally solid plant, but I wouldn't count on any of the others you mentioned...
Look into the natural ranges of the plants you want. If they grow at levels under 1000 meters above sea level, they're probably worth a shot. Assuming, of course, you're OK with losing some plants like you said.
~Joe

Thanks, JB_OrchidGuy! Thats good news. I'd love to give tentaculata a try!

mindmaze, eymae... cool!

Where did you guys get your plants from and what forms are they (if you know)?

So the possibilities are:

sibuyanensis
mikei
fusca
copelandii
tentaculata (seems to grow from 700 to 2400 m above sea level... would need one of the 700 feet ones - thanks Joe)
eymae

Also, tentaculata grows with hamata... hmmm :)
From reading, seems like hamata may be possible if kept in a terrarium (outside in shade) to keep humidity up...
If I can get one for a decent price I may give it a shot.

You won't find a tentaculata you can grow, unless you can find some seed (good luck). All the tentac's in cutlivation are from the nosebleed altitudes.

Take a look at my growlist. If it's a HL and its on there, you can grow it. My chamber gets well into the 90s every day, and sinks only to about 82 at night. My fusca Sarawak is dying though. I think it is much too hot for it in there.

A hamata isn't going to work in Miami unless you plan on setting up some kind of cooling system.

Jonathan Keep in mind that my mikei, tenticulata, sibuyanensis are relatively new to me. This will be their first summer here, and my GH has already gotten up to 105 a day or two. That is why I took down two walls so it wouldn't get so hot, but it still gets into the 90's. So far so good. I just have to make them survive for this last summer then I wil give them a true highland environment and I am sure they will do better.

Now my vent 'hotlips' and jungle bells both been through a summer already and both are pitchering like crazy. The jungle bells puts out a new pitcher on every leaf and people have said it is hard. My sanguina has been with me since th ebegining and it just keeps on growing.

I have a ramispina that I had to move inside only because I just repotted it and it didn't like the heat and stress of repotting at the same time. It is doing better now.

So far the main problem I have had is that I repotted the highlanders right before the heat and they cannot take both stressers, but if you have an established plant it might survive a short period, but it will slow down. I have no thoughts of grander that I can keep them at lowland temps all the time. My GH goes into highland mode during the winter with a low temp of about 48, but warms up during the day.

So it is going to be experimentation on your part. I do believe most plant can acclimate to a degree. Look at the windowsill hamata of Jeremiah (I hope that is the right member). But some will not acclimate to the extreme. And then again some will just survive untill more favorable conditions are met. Like my ramispina last year. It slowed down and was putting out smaller leaves during the summer. Then it picked back up in the winter. So you are going to have to just take risks on your own.

Oh I forgot I have a lowii, epiphiata, and lowii x muliensis (spelling may be wrong) that are growing nicely out in the GH and not sure when I got them though. Don't remember if this is their first or second summer. They are both small and the lowii would be putting out its second pitcher if I hadn't broke the tendral of the first one, but lowii is a slow grower anyway. The other two have been putting out pitchers too. The lowwi x mul being the better of the two. They are all growing and getting bigger albeit slow.

So make some choices and see what you can do, just remember you may loose them or have to setup plan two with an indoor growing area.

On one more thing. Both my fuscas I know I had last summer and were doing excellent till I had the hair-brained idea to re-pot the things out of the peat or LFS they were in because of my root rot scare. They got majorly setback because of it.

there is a memeber that is active and lives in Miami. i wanna say its jrfxtreme. his name is Jeremy though. he grows fusca 'Sarawak' and N. sanguinea orange outdoors year round among many others. i can personally reccomend N. sanguinea. that thing is unbeatable! if your looking to try it out i have a few cuttings in the auction right now.

Alex

Thanks for all the info so far. As far as mikei goes, I've read very conflicting acounts at retailers saying that "it grows well as a lowlander" to "it is highland/ultrahighland". But it is a nice plant, so I think it is worth a shot.

I tried it. It started getting smaller even when the days were in the low 80s.

phissionkorps, where did you get your mikei from? Also, how is your muluensis x lowii doing?

Thanks, Jonathan
P.S., I like your avatar pic :)

Also, how is your muluensis x lowii doing?
#1 died, #2 started to die, so I gave it away.

I got the mikei from a certain place that's fond of easter grass, so it was the BE clone.

P.S., I like your avatar pic :)
Thx :-D

Pitty... nice plant.

You grow under lights right phission? The lights make the surface of the leaves hotter than the ambient temps in the area. So the plant temps could be hotter than the ambient temps. Have you checked the leaf temps?

Nah I haven't checked leaf temps. I have no idea how I would reliably do that besides an infrared thermometer, which I don't have the money or need to buy lol.

I'm losing crap left and right now. My temps are in the mid 90s every day, mid 80s at night. I need to figure out some sort of cooling solution to bring the temps down like 10 degrees. I think I need to switch to a cool mist humidifier in the summer, and a warm mist in the winter. I'm using a warm mist now and it makes being in the chamber totally unbearable. The only stuff I have that looks decent are the swampy lowlanders. Gracilis, mirabilis, raff, etc.

Hi there:

Most philllippino species can grow well under lowland conditions:
Ventricosa, copelandii, truncata, mira, alata
Also: intermediate range plants like vogelii and platychila
Tobaicas, veitchiis, most maximas, khasianas, etc

Cool... next available platychila I see, I'll give a try. Mira as well.
I have some cuttings of nice heavily speckled echinostomas from Trent rooting...
maybe, maybe, I'll get lucky with a trade.

I tried N. sibuyanensis and I don't think it would be a good idea in a hot climate. There is a hybrid called N. x medusa which is a hybrid of N. sibuyanensis and N. bellii. It looks very similar to N. sibuyanensis and is a much faster grower. It prefers lowland conditions.

I've heard N. tenuis grows well as a lowlander. I was just speaking to someone in Thailand who's been growing a very nice specimen. Lets see if it's in my inbox... 77 to 83 degrees at night and 86 to 95 during the day. Someone PM'd me about them cutting theirs to trade, and said they'd post about it, but I never heard back from him. I'd like to try this species some time. N. gymnamphora is a species you can try. If you like hybrids, that really gives you more variety.

Back