What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highlander/intermediates that can grow as lowlanders.

I would like to add a bit more about N. gymnamphora.
N. gymnamphora is a fairly widespread nepenthes with an altitude range of 600m-2800m. It is one of the few nepethes that has both lowland and ultrahighland populations. There is a good number of clones in commercial circulation, many if you consider N. pectinata and N. xiphioides varieties of N. gymnamphora. In a lowland environment, getting a random N. gymnamphora is a bit of a gamble. Depending on where it originated from, it could die or it could thrive. Luckily, N. gymnamphora is usually inexpensive, so it is not too risky to experiment a bit.

N. gymnamphora is my favorite species personally. The Atlanta Botanical Gardens, where I used to intern at and now volunteer at, has a massive speciment on display.

I can tell you that the one that came from the northeast US supplier did very well for me with night of only 70 degrees. It was a very small plant that looked almost stunted it was so compact, but it grew fast and made perfectly formed pitchers that were in proportion with the rest of the plant, so I'm thinking it was just the habit of the clone.

It's an underrated plant with a cute toothed peristome.

nice... I'll try gymnamphora when I have a chance.

Back