What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Week Long Wait Has Paid Off..

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
:banana2: :woot: :woot: Well after 5 long weeks of waiting my N. Mirabillis "All Red" seeds have started to germinate. After bad storms and power outages for days at a time and yesterday we lost power again from real bad storms i noticed today after we got our power back on that i had 2 baby N. Mirabillis "All Red" seeds had germinated. Now im not "counting my chickens befour they hatch" so to speak but hey this is a first for me at Nep seeds and im happy as all get right now doing the happy CP dance...:banana2: :banana2: :woot: :rookwoot: I had sowed 2 batches of these seeds in 2 diffrent growing conditions to see which ones would take. I must be doing something right.. LOL!! Anyways as soon as more germinate and they get a hair bigger than they are to where i can get my stupid cam to zoom in on them i will post pics.. Im the type of woman that has ALOT of patience for EVERYTHING and it pays off to wait wait wait for seeds to germinate. :-D :water: :bigthumpup:

Congradulations! :clap: I should try neps from seed some time.

are u doing anything to the seeds to help them germinate, like a heatpad under the pot or something?

thats great...o and... POST PICS!

I had sowed 2 batches of these seeds in 2 diffrent growing conditions to see which ones would take.

What were the different conditions and did one appear to work better than the other at this observable point?

After bad storms and power outages for days at a time and yesterday we lost power again from real bad storms i noticed today after we got our power back on that i had 2 baby N. Mirabillis "All Red" seeds had germinated.

I know all about power loses this year. We've had some bad storms and some even worse power outages. I feel your pain!

xvart.

Thanks maneatingmoo...

HPLH, i have not used a heat pad under the seeds pot, i am using a small plant tray thats used for under the seed starter cell packs it was big enough for me to toss a bunch of seeds in and i poked small holes in it to sit it down in the distilled water inside a one tank im using to start some seeds. I start seeds in diffrent tanks. It keeps the CP mix just moist not soggy, i used dried LFS ontop the CP mix, the CP mix consists of peat/spag/pertile/sand and crushed up in a blender orchid bark mix. The tray is kept 10 inches from the lights, the lights im using are 2- 15wt full spectrum and 1- 15wt plant grow light. Now the lights are out only for few hrs each night, i only turn off the 2- full spectrum lights but when we have loss of power it could be 2 days to 4 days or more with no suplamentation of lights other than what comes thru the window across the room. Temps in the tank are when lights on 80% to 84% and lights off 76% to 79% depends on how cool the room gets with the fan in the window going.. Humidity is 78% to 82%

xvart, this batch is growing in diff temps/ lighting than the batch that hasnt germinated yet, the batch that is germinating is in the above discribed conditions and the other batch/not germinated yet is in a bigger grow tank that i use and the temps are only off by a few degrees but the lighting is diffrent on that tank is it has 48 inch shop lights over it 2- grow lights and the other 2- are daylight bulbs and those seeds are 13 inches away from the lights and those lights i only turn off one set at night for few hrs and leave one set on. and the humididty is 85%.
Im very suprised these seeds germinated as quickly as they did since the seeds were not fresh.. Either way im still a happy camper...:banana2: :boogie: As soon as these tiny tiny babies grow alittle more or i get me a better stinkin cam :censor: that can get such close ups, i will post pics soon..

xvart, the awful part is we are in the middle of the woods in the middle of nowhere so we are always the last to get our power restored there has been times we went 2 weeks or more without power, thats the times we move everything over to my daughters..:blush:

is so much light required to germinate nep seeds? are nep seeds like lettuce seeds in wich they require light to germinate?

xvart, this batch is growing in diff temps/ lighting than the batch that hasnt germinated yet, the batch that is germinating is in the above discribed conditions and the other batch/not germinated yet is in a bigger grow tank that i use and the temps are only off by a few degrees but the lighting is diffrent on that tank is it has 48 inch shop lights over it 2- grow lights and the other 2- are daylight bulbs and those seeds are 13 inches away from the lights and those lights i only turn off one set at night for few hrs and leave one set on. and the humididty is 85%.

Thanks for the information. Good luck with both batches.

xvart, the awful part is we are in the middle of the woods in the middle of nowhere so we are always the last to get our power restored there has been times we went 2 weeks or more without power, thats the times we move everything over to my daughters..:blush:

Ugh. That would be terrible. I suppose that would be the only time I would appreciate all the ambient light pollution!

is so much light required to germinate nep seeds? are nep seeds like lettuce seeds in wich they require light to germinate?

Well... Some light is necessary, but the intensity of light and success rates of lower lighting is hotly debated on occasion. Here's a couple different methods described.

xvart.

Last edited:
Congrats on the germination!

Tracey, Congrats on the germination!

Sounds like you have really been bitten by the CP bug and they are multiplying like crazy.

Thanks xvart, for the link and info.. I am truely starting to wonder if the lights being off durring the power outages recently set the germination off on the seeds and thats why there now poping.. Anyways i noticed today i have a few more babies that poped there soooooooooooooooooooooo flippin tiny, this ol gal had to put on the specks and use a magnifying glass to look at um, so now theres 6 total in one tray and i also noticed in the other tray in a diffrent growing tank there was 2 that had poped.. YIPPY!! Im still not counting my chicks so to speak but hey atleast i manged to get some Nep seeds to germinate.. WOOT! WOOT! and to boot on my very first try at Nep seeds... My next batch of Nep seeds im gona do the same thing try diffrent growing conditions/tanks/lighting and so forth and will post my outcome experiance with that as well.. :-D I will get pics of these super tiny babies as soon as i can just gota wait till there a smidgon bigger for my stupid cam :censor: to get a good enough pic... :blush: :blush: I think i like the full spec/plant grow light combo the best even though with all my CPs the plant grow/daylight combo mix is doing fabulous, something bout them full spectrum lights really work great... :-D

THANKS Capensis and elgecko, its very exciting and VERY VERY rewarding experiance for me...:banana2:

Steve you know me that addiction hit me yrs ago, what can i say i always been MAMA GREEN THUMB... LOL!!!!!

Back