What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Protopitcher Guessing Game

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
I was rummaging around my grow shelf tonight, looking at what the coming weeks were going to present me with. I took several pictures of some baby pitchers and we'll see if you can guess them. Some will obviously be much more difficult to ID since they are so new, and others will be easier. Remember, just because you see a pitcher in the picture doesn't mean they are related!

MiscCP-62908013.jpg

MiscCP-62908018.jpg

MiscCP-62908022.jpg

MiscCP-62908023.jpg

MiscCP-62908024.jpg

MiscCP-62908025.jpg

xvart.

Oh geez...I have almost no idea, buy I'm going to guess that #2 is rafflesania (forgive my spelling) and #4 is an upper pitcher of a lowii.

i'm gonna go with sanguinea for no. 1

#1. ramispina, #2. rafflesiana #3. xtrusmadiensis #4. Lady Pauline #5. chaniana x veitchii #6 ventricosa.

"Sabre" for that last one?

1. sanguinea
2. rafflesiana
3. ?
4. madagascariensis
5. albomarginata
6. ventricosa

All told, 4 of 6 of the pitchers have been correctly identified. I won't give away the answers yet. One hint is that none of them are lowlanders, except for one hybrid with two LL's as parents.

xvart.

what is #5...it looks pretty sweet...i may have to get one :)

1) sanguinea
2) 'Caesar' ???
3) i dunno....i cant even see it.
4) maxima
5) chaniana
6) um... ventricosa?

i kinda cheated :) (shhhhhh!)

Alex

You know, the point of cheating is too not tell anyone. :)

I would now say that
1. ventrata?
2. I still go with rafflesiana
3. Uh....
4. I'm going to go with N. macfarlanei
5. Chaniana
6. And I think it's N. globosa

"I, too, have sinned, sister" - The Sound of Music :p

and #4 is an upper pitcher of a lowii.

I wish!

i'm gonna go with sanguinea for no. 1
1. sanguinea
1) sanguinea

N. Kohala

N. Caesar

#4. Lady Pauline

#5. chaniana x veitchii

"Sabre" for that last one?

Thanks for playing everyone! Congrats to the winners!

i kinda cheated :) (shhhhhh!)

Alex

Tsk Tsk, someone looking at the growlist?! Didn’t anyone ever tell you that cheaters never prosper? lol.

xvart.

And if cheating from my list it would only result in doom. Like I know anything about Nepenthes. I grow two different kinds.

Pffft, too easy.

They're all Nepenthes. You could have at least thrown in a Sarr or something, JC.

1. Sanguinea
2. Rafflesiana
3. cant tell
4. Lady Pauline
5. Lowii
6. Ventricosa
?

darn didnt realize how late i was...
i was close on most.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could have at least thrown in a Sarr or something, JC.

Well if I grew any Sarrs I would have!

xvart.

An updated picture on the N. Kohala pitcher. Look at the slant on the future peristome! It's going to be fierce. I'm pretty excited about this one. I usually prefer species/hybrids with upright, vertical pitchers as opposed to the slanted, curved pitchers (think N. Black Dragon compared to N. Red Dragon, for common examples), which this one appears to be; however, I think I might make an exception in this case. Judging by the shape/structure of the lid, it looks like the peristome is going is going to be nicely flared, too.

MiscCP-7408029.jpg

xvart.

Back