What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Cutting

elsantaclause

A windowsill grower
Hi I just got N. Lady Pauline cutting. This is my first cutting that I am doing so I have a few questions. It is currently in a 4-Inch pot with a soil mixture of 50:50 LFS and Perilite mix. And a top layer of LFS. The cutting was planted in a small pocket of Live LFS in the center of the pot with the soil mix around it. The pot is in a open ziploc bag that sits on my east-south facing windowsill. The soil mix is pretty compact and when you lift it up it around a pound and a half. Is this a problem? Because when i lifted up my other mature nepenthes it was lighter than then the Lady Pauline cutting.

Also on the side of the stem there is a little white lump that looks like a node to me. What do you guys think?

Here are some pics of it:

P7010004.jpg

P7010002.jpg

P7010003.jpg

And the little white lump?

P7010007-1.jpg

I can't see several of the pictures; but, that might just be my phone not loading them. As for the weight difference, that could be because of when you watered each pot. If you just watered your LFS, it's going to be much heavier than if you didn't water it recently. Otherwise, it may be compacted too much (more LFS in a smaller space).

xvart.

Hey, looks like its doing great!

Yep, that is an activated node, unless it's a small lump of perlite.:jester:

It was packaged up for a while, so that node has little chlorophyll, is my guess. The nodes on the other parts of the Pauline that your cutting came from are also pale.

But that node is very swollen compared to any on the original plant!

Does that pot get good drainage? That might be the cause of the weight problem.

Also, did that leaf break in transit?

Well, it's good to see that the cutting is doing well. The seeds are doing great as well.:-D

I think it might just be wet, but if I did compact it too much, will it be bad for the cutting? And any tips or is this good enough?

Edit: Jimmy Yea, the leaf broke during transit and the 4-inch pot has pretty good drainage, but it might be heavy because I soaked the LFS you gave me in water yesterday and mixed it with the perilite.

Oops, I'll have to package my plants mor carefully next time.:blush:

Yeah, I bet its just the wieght of the water in the LFS,

Anyway, looks like you're doing good. :)

Oh and I'm getting mixed feelings about the bag because some sites say bag is needed and others say bag is not needed. Suggestions?

Jimmy: thanks be sure to keep me up to date on the seeds :-D

Just in case is your guarantee still available:jester:

Whatever is your gut feeling about the bag, go with it. I'd say that the cutting would do fine without it, since Paulines are very easy to grow. Plus bags get on my nerves, too much of a hassle, and they reduce light for the plant.

I'll definitely keep you posted on the seeds.

And yep, that guarantee is still in place.:-D

I think the cuttings are off to a good start. Just don't water too often... once or twice a week.

ok I just got worried because its growing on my windowsill and I've never heard of anyone growing cuttings on their windowsill before =(

Back