What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So i got my N. Rajah

and im pretty dissapointed, 25 dollars for a plant that looks like crap currently.
thats it in the back right corner.
im hoping that new tendril is still alive atleast.
i know it likes it down in the 50s at night, but thats a bit difficult to do right now. im thinking of ways, my only guess is to put a cup of ice next to it at night...
Neps7-3-08002.jpg

Terrariumupdateforhighlandneps002.jpg

my lowii came from the same place.
and its doing great o_O.
im just thinking those leaves are a bit on the junked side, but i think the new tendril might be alive. i called and left a message, most people are probably out for the 4th

What soil mix is it in? As long as it's alive I'm sure they won't do anything about it. Just let it settle in, maybe change the mix after reading the big rajah thread, and try to keep it cool and high humidity at night. What's that samll one next to it? Also I see you have mexican pings in there. How is that working for you?

Can you get a close up of the growth point? I can't really tell how uncurled the leaf is and where the tendril starts and stops. It looks dark, but that may just be the tendril. A closer picture would help. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about the way it looks. The leaves are just damaged and it may not look the nicest; but that doesn't mean the plant is unhealthy. It will only look better as time goes on.

xvart.

rajahs hate repotting. The plant looks fine to me. yes! its a bit on the rough side...but still looks pretty great considering the size you got. give it atleast a month and watch the progress. Mine stopped growing for a month just for changing the conditions.

merged posts

It should be fine. It's had a rough trip, but the fact it survive is a good start. No offence, but a weak plant would've died on you on a rough post trip. Now be happy it made it in one (kind of..) piece, and give the poor thing some support! It's one of the harder nep's to get... sheesh, give it some credit!
I'll bet you, if the plant is alive, in a few months when it begins to grow again, and you can tell everyone you have a 'rajah!' it won't be 'disappointing' :)

Oh, and a way to tell if it needs lower temps at night is if it's new leaves are progressively smaller, and 'yellow'. Darker leaves are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neps7-3-08002.jpg

i moved it outside on my rack with the rest of my highlanders. the only highlanders inside are a couple ventrata, ventricosa, and my lowii. i wanted to keep a couple inside.....
our temps are back to perfect highland-ultrahighland....
50-55 nights 75-80 days humidity in washington, hahaha. especially in western washington, is not an issue. 70-80 day 80-90 night

And if you grow it right in 5 years you could have somthing that looks like this...

2008-1-1_Largest_Cultivated_N_rajah%20(15).jpg

2008-1-1_Largest_Cultivated_N_rajah%20(17).jpg

2008-1-1_Largest_Cultivated_N_rajah%20(27).jpg

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

Your Rajah always impresses me, Jeremiah. :) Quite a success!

So in five years some goofy guy will grow out of the tendril?! Woah.

xvart.

lol, no the goofy guy comes out a lot sooner then that I'm afraid.

-Jeremiah-

Lol. That N. rajah is very nice!

Back