Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help , I'm new , 1st post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help , I'm new , 1st post

Please help anyone, 2 weeks ago i recieved this Nepenthes Maxima Hybrid in wonderful condition, This is the 1st one for me as I am new to these plants, The sender gave me great tips on soil material and trasnplanting it to bigger pot , which I have done, In my trials , I placed a clear plastic bag over the whole plant as i was thinking this would keep it humid, It is in a hanging pot, placed outside, I live in NY. It set in the sun too long inside the bag and now it has browned pretty bad, as of today the two traps , pitchers have started to wilt, I am trying my best to keep it misted with urea free orchid fertilizer and still am keeping it outside, without bag of course. any input as to the best doctor methods to save this as I feel am loseing it , would hate for this to happen , wonderful plant,... should I keep it inside ?, should I clip off the browned leaves?.. the wilting traps , please Help anyone..
    Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF, glad to see another new yorker. I would put it inside near a window. New York weather can get to hot for N. maxima and would receive to much sunlight outside during the summer. I would put it in a south facing window and mist daily. Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rich,

Welcome to Terraforums! Jason is right, you should put it inside. Maybe even give it some florescent light and mind the temperature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would grow it in a terrarium or in a brightly lit window. i also recommend that you lose the plastic bag. the plant needs air circulation, the bag promotes mold and mildew growth.
    for some good tips check this site out http://nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like your misting often with orchid fertilizer. It should only be done about once a week. Personally I don't think t does too much good anyway. I always fertilize the pitchers or just give the plant bugs. Also make sure the fertilizer is the right strength. Carnivorous plants don't handle fertilizers well at high concentrations. 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon is a good starting point.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misting in general isn't going to do much. It only raises the RH for a very short amount of time, thus rendering it near useless. Lose the bag, and grow it by a window sill. N. maxima is a parent that typically yields vigorous and easy hybrids.

I would lay off the fertilizer completely until it recovers. Then review some of the other threads about fertilization for some different methods. Nepenthes don't need fertilizers at all.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

I Like Watching Things Grow... laxgoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heres my advice. Since it's a hybrid, stick it in a nice sunny window, lose the bag, stop misting (unless where you are is under 40-50% humidity), and fertilizer is unesessary.

water 1-2 times a week and make sure it doesnt dry out.

Hope it goes well! check back and tell us how its doing.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast