What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help , I'm new , 1st post

Please help anyone, 2 weeks ago i recieved this Nepenthes Maxima Hybrid in wonderful condition, This is the 1st one for me as I am new to these plants, The sender gave me great tips on soil material and trasnplanting it to bigger pot , which I have done, In my trials , I placed a clear plastic bag over the whole plant as i was thinking this would keep it humid, It is in a hanging pot, placed outside, I live in NY. It set in the sun too long inside the bag and now it has browned pretty bad, as of today the two traps , pitchers have started to wilt, I am trying my best to keep it misted with urea free orchid fertilizer and still am keeping it outside, without bag of course. any input as to the best doctor methods to save this as I feel am loseing it , would hate for this to happen , wonderful plant,... should I keep it inside ?, should I clip off the browned leaves?.. the wilting traps , please Help anyone..
Rich
:-(

Welcome to TF, glad to see another new yorker. I would put it inside near a window. New York weather can get to hot for N. maxima and would receive to much sunlight outside during the summer. I would put it in a south facing window and mist daily. Good luck

Hey Rich,

Welcome to Terraforums! Jason is right, you should put it inside. Maybe even give it some florescent light and mind the temperature.

I would grow it in a terrarium or in a brightly lit window. i also recommend that you lose the plastic bag. the plant needs air circulation, the bag promotes mold and mildew growth.
for some good tips check this site out http://nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

It sounds like your misting often with orchid fertilizer. It should only be done about once a week. Personally I don't think t does too much good anyway. I always fertilize the pitchers or just give the plant bugs. Also make sure the fertilizer is the right strength. Carnivorous plants don't handle fertilizers well at high concentrations. 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon is a good starting point.

Misting in general isn't going to do much. It only raises the RH for a very short amount of time, thus rendering it near useless. Lose the bag, and grow it by a window sill. N. maxima is a parent that typically yields vigorous and easy hybrids.

I would lay off the fertilizer completely until it recovers. Then review some of the other threads about fertilization for some different methods. Nepenthes don't need fertilizers at all.

xvart.

heres my advice. Since it's a hybrid, stick it in a nice sunny window, lose the bag, stop misting (unless where you are is under 40-50% humidity), and fertilizer is unesessary.

water 1-2 times a week and make sure it doesnt dry out.

Hope it goes well! check back and tell us how its doing.

Welcome to TF!

lol, you've already stumbled into some contradicting thoughts here... welcome to the wonderful world of Nepenthes! Misting will either do nothing or help. If you do mist, try at night since some people will say that the sun on the drops of water will cause a magnifying glass effect and burn your plant. I agree with "lose the bag" although some use that as a method of adaptation (by cutting a small hole in the bag and gradually widening it.) However, this is usually used on smaller plants fresh from Tissue Culture. You could keep it outside since it will probably adapt eventually, but if you do take the bag off. The greenhouse effect causes the temp in the bag to spike dangerously under strong sunlight. I would also recommend putting it inside since that's just... easier. I wouldn't fertilize at all to start (you wouldn't believe the how many contrasting points of view there are on ferts) but maybe consider it later. In any case, don't fertilize every day. The most you want to fertilize is about twice monthly at half strength. Good luck!

TY much, and Thanks to all who have replyed, I was wondering with the browning of the leaves, will these green back up or should I clip them, Now not all the leaf has browned, only the are closer to the base of the plant , to about half way up the leaf, this has happened on sereval leafs

Clip them off. They'll never recover.

Try and clip off all the brown on all the leaves.

How do I place pics. in the chat box, I have a few but when I click on Insert Image it asks for a URL, Where do I get this ???

You need to upload your photos to a hosting website like photobucket. When you upload them there, the site will provide you for a URL for that picture.

here are 3 pics of my plant, should I clip the whole leaf , leaves, or just cut out the browned pieces where I can???

dimadaggss

http://s353.photobucket.com/albums/r392/dimadaggss/

Last edited:
thats not good , It really looked better just 2 weeks ago , dam trial and error, ........, so whats the group thinking, savable or gone????

I agree with PK. When the leaves brown from the inside out, that's not a good sign. It means it's dying from the stem/growth area.

xvart.

if the plant really dead just leave it potted and put it in a high humidity condition, because i have read it on some website the plant will grow back if u just keep it in a proper condition even the plant is dead LOL? its just like leaf propagation, or u can try to cut the good living stem off and try to propagate the stem =/ use some take root hormone would help alot, i m kinda noob at this kinda of situation too but this the best i can think of,

That plant is beyond salvaging. The stem has rotted.

Phisioon, My question is would the bag that I placed over the plant cause the root to rot, the browning happened because of the bag, in a days time, and you also say that the stem has rotted, here are 3 close ups, it looks to me like there is still green to the core stem, I am not in anyway doubting you my friend, just trying to learn from veterns about my mistakes, thank you in advance...

dimadaggss

http://s353.photobucket.com/albums/r392/dimadaggss/

Back