What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ethical question

• Thread starter error
  • Start date
  • Tags
    free
If you found a mouse alive inside a pitcher plant, would you rescue it and set it free or would you leave it in there to see what happens and hope it provides good nutrients for the plant?

I'd set it free. Besides, it would smell terrible.

And I fertilize anyway, so if it DID catch a mouse, even if it was a huge pitcher and wouldn't have rotted ordinarily, it would rot.

I would leave it be. Survival of the fittest.

If you found a mouse alive inside a pitcher plant, would you rescue it and set it free or would you leave it in there to see what happens and hope it provides good nutrients for the plant?

If I found a mouse in a pitcher plant in my apartment, I think I would have other "ethical" decisions to make outside of the one you provide. Namely:
  • Do I tell my wife that I found a mouse inside a pitcher, inside our apartment...
xvart.

It would rot the pitcher... causing the slightest bit of damage to your plant. :nono:

So - let it loose far away from your house.

Or give it to your neighbor to satisfy his/her pet python. :devil:

If I found a mouse dead or alive I'd carefully get it out trying to not hurt my pitcher and put it far away from my house.

Even if the pitcher could handle the meal I'm sure it would stink horrible so I'll stick with bugs or fertilizer..

If the plant is outdoors, I'd say leave it in. Mice aren't exactly in danger of extinction.

id say it depends on the species of Nepenthes we are talking about...
Truncata, Spathulata, Eymae, Rajah, Rafflesiana var Gigantea, or any other large neps would be fine. something small and unable to produce the enzymes, id say remove it. but it is survival of the fittest imo. if its dumb enough to fall in, imo, its better off dead.

Like someone else said, if outside, I'd leave it. Inside, the stink would become too much.

Awww...I'd let it go. :(

if its dumb enough to fall in

Like the mouse could think "Hey! This looks like a carnivorous plant pitcher filled with digestive fluids...I'd better hop right over it!!"??

:scratch:

PAK, thats my point, -_-;;;;
i hate mice btw

Back