What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermediate Neps

DroseraBug

Grow Pitcher Plants!
Hi,

I'm just looking for opinions on Nepenthes that are the most rewarding yet easy intermediates to grow in terrariums. What are they? I'm looking to add something to my small nep collection. I'm already growing N. sanguinea and N. ventricosa. What do yall think?

Ramispina would be a good one.

And I cannot recommend "Lady Pauline" enough. This thing grows like a weed on steroids! It would do great in an intermediate set-up. Plus, my opinion of course, it has gorgeous pitchers.

N.fusca which is a really beautiful nep. I would suggest the sarawak form which I got myself. You could try ampullaria, gymnaphora as well.

I was going to suggest "Lady Pauline" as well, but somebody else already has. It is a great intermediate to have. I might try a intermediate Truncata too. I have a highland and it is doing well along with my Lady P. So I would imagine an intermediate Trunc would to well also.

I have the following growing in what might be considered intermediate/lowland conditions (80-84 day, 78-80 night, 50% humidity day, night unknown):
N. spectabilis
N. truncata Pasian highland
N. x 'Marbled Dragon'
N. ampullaria speckled
N. ampullaria 'green'

The amps I haven't had long and have not yet started pitchering, but everything else is.

Crystal

Almost anything crossed with N. ventricosa.

Any particular reason you want to grow intermediates in a terrarium? By definition, don't they not need a terrarium because they are in between highland and lowland conditions? Unless your temps are totally whacked, I suppose.

xvart.

N. spectabilis x ventricosa. It's really easy.

Xvart,

I'm interested in growing it in a terrarium because I grow a bunch of tropicals/subtropicals in terrarriums and thats where I've got my lights. I don't have a greenhouse yet. I really have no windows facing the appropriate direction and would rather spend money on another plant vs. growrack. I keep my terrariums open most of the time for good air circulation anyway.

N. eymae and N. "Sabre" are very nice :)

I've had luck with growing my N. Singalana in intermediate temperatures. It's right next to my N. Sanguinea which is also doing fine. Its a pretty plant, mine has very dark red pitchers with a toothy edge. Doesn't grow to be very big, so you could keep it in the terrarium pretty easily.

Xvart,

I'm interested in growing it in a terrarium because I grow a bunch of tropicals/subtropicals in terrarriums and thats where I've got my lights. I don't have a greenhouse yet. I really have no windows facing the appropriate direction and would rather spend money on another plant vs. growrack. I keep my terrariums open most of the time for good air circulation anyway.

Gotcha! Thanks for that information. I was just curious. I would second N. Sabre or any of the dragon greges. N. ventricosa hybrids, N. maxima, or a lot of different hybrids will do well.

xvart.

Thanks for the great info folks. One I really like is N. ramispina. One person recommended that. Any other opinions on growing this one at room temps 68F-80F? What about other eye catching Neps at those temps. Now that Xvart asked his question it got me thinking about possibly switching to a growrack of some type as long as it was decent looking for my wife. I could use it for my tropicals and the terrariums for my Sarra seeds.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

you should try some victorian hybrids. N. xwrigleyana, though technically lowland, has tolerated my intermediate conditions well and grows right next to aristolochioides. It's a vigorous grower, and its pitchers are simply gorgeous.

Back