What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedlings or Weeds?

I was one of the lucky people who got some N. Splendiana x Mixta seeds from Tropics several weeks ago and I am rather excited because I think I have germination. I don’t want to be too excited and then find out that what I thought was nep seedlings actually are just some ol’ weed since this is my first attempt at growing neps from seeds so I’ve included pics to check and see if some other experienced growers can confirm that this is what young nep seedlings do or do not actually look like.

After staring at my pots for a while I think I can trace each seedling back to a seed case that it emerged from so I am pretty sure these are nep seedlings but before I celebrate I wanted to double check with the experts so I don’t end up pampering weeds like royalty only to be really disappointed.

DSC00597.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

DSC00598.jpg

DSC00600.jpg

Here is a teeny spot of green just starting to bend out of the middle “eye” of the horizontal seed in the middle of the pic (if you really squint).

Seedlings :)
The first two leaves are pitcher-less the next leave will be a small pitcher(pin head).

Yay,
Now I can do my happy dance I have been carefully repressing...
:banana2:

Congrats! They're very cute ;)

CONGRATS on your germination :water: there cute, mine are also poping up, bummer part for me is i cant get my cam to get zooooooomed in close up pics like that... :-( :-(

I had 5 Viking x Raff seeds germinate two months ago, they grow so slow at this stage my biggest one only has 3 leaf pitchers :(

Congrats on the seedlings :D.

now you get to wait and wait and wait... :)

they joy of nep growing. I have to admit my nep seedlings are much better going than any sarr seedling I have ever tried.

Now is where patience is really appreciated and useful and very very needed. Just made it through the first year of nepenthes life from seed lost a lot but still have enough to show for it. I'll post some pics later.

WTG, A H congrats on being a baby nep parent.
iIkept mine in a warm place high light, no direct sun in a lastic bag for about 2 yr before adjusting to open air. maybe I babied mine too much. jest didn't have time to check it that often.
LMO
put a small mexican ping in one corner of the pot this will keep down the fungus gnats and their larvae which are very injurious to nep seedlings

Congratulations on germinating those seeds the looks great!

Hey,
seedlings look great! keep us posted on their development,
I actually have a batch of the same seeds, but I havnt' had any germination yet :( haha
what are your conditions?

I did think I recieved mine a week or two after everyone else... so I'll console myself with that note...

I am growing them currently in plastic bags on a cart next to a window. I received the seeds on May 31st, I believe, and I planted them the next day. Since Tropics sent such a crazy huge amount of seeds I tried setting up a bunch of different pots with different soils and light based on the germinating techniques that were stickied up top on the nepenthes page.

2 pots with straight dried LFS – placed in windowsill immediately
2 pots peat/sand mix – placed in windowsill immediately
1 pot peat/dried LFS /sand – placed in windowsill immediately
2 pots a mix of peat, sand, dried LFS- placed in dark desk drawer 10 days then moved to windowsill
2 pots peat/dried LFS/Sand- placed in dark desk drawer 10 days then moved to windowsill

The only pots I have no sprouts are in the pure LFS and single pot of peat/ dried LFS in windowsill immediately. This may be due to my own fault because the straight LFS dried out faster than the other pots and I may not have kept them moist enough on a regular basis compared to the other pots. Everything else has seeds germinating, not a ton but a few in each pot so maybe more will slowly germinate too.

I know that sometimes it can take a while for nep seeds to germinate but once some do start to germinate generally is that when any that will sprout do? Or can I expect a more drawn out process of more seeds germinating over a longer time period?

I've had seed germinate 6 months after its siblings.

mine are in 1:1 peat/perlite mix about 6 inches under my lights in about 80-85 daytime temps with about 70-85% humidity for 16 hr days... I've not had a single one yet... I'm hoping everything will be okay ???

we shall see

Theyre still germinating for me, but so far they look like theyre doing pretty good. If nothing happens by the end of August, im dumping them. Oh wait, mine were from cp sin, not tropics. I hope itll still work

Theyre still germinating for me, but so far they look like theyre doing pretty good. If nothing happens by the end of August, im dumping them. Oh wait, mine were from cp sin, not tropics. I hope itll still work

Germination has occurred up to six months (maybe longer) for some people and some species. I wouldn't give up so easily.

xvart.

mine are in 1:1 peat/perlite mix about 6 inches under my lights in about 80-85 daytime temps with about 70-85% humidity for 16 hr days... I've not had a single one yet... I'm hoping everything will be okay ???

we shall see

That's essentially my conditions, only it's in LFS and ~90. I'm either seeing a couple seedlings or sedge. Time will tell I suppose...

May 31st? Hmmmm...I was all excited to get check mine that I won in the Auction - but that would have been REALLY fast germination - I only got them a couple of weeks back.

Ah, well....at least I know they're viable!

Congrats on the germination!

Back