What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black nectar

My N. Sanguinea is making this blackish nectar on it's peristome. It's thick, not all liquidy like the clear nectar. I touched it and it stuck to my finger, and I pulled my finger back and the nectar stretched some. The stretched part was thinner and it was more of a brown color than black, so the nectar might be really dark brown. Is this normal? Has anyone else had their plant do this? Here's a picture.
NSanguineablacknectar.jpg

i find that the dark nectar tastes more bitter than sweet. the lighter colored nectar is way better!

Alex

Wow that's alot of the stuff. I tasted it and you're right, it's not as sweet as the lighter colored. Good thing it's actually nectar lol.

Yeah, Sanguinea puts out reddish brown nectar, its why its called Sanguinea...Sanguine means blood ;)

doesnt sanguine mean brown? ? ?

I love that pick of the "bloodlust" sang xvart!

Nope, sanguine means blood ;)
also refers to a shade of brown however.

I love that pick of the "bloodlust" sang xvart!

Heh. Thanks. Usually those two plants bleed all over the bottom of the peristome and down the pitcher. I think I was particularly lucky that day. "Bloodlust" makes me think of Warcraft 2.

xvart.

Like te other people have posted this is normal means your sanguinea is happy so far mine hasn't done this only alot of clear nector also wow! nice pictures of that N.sanguinea xvart.

Nope, sanguine means blood ;)
also refers to a shade of brown however.

Actually, thanks to 10th grade English, the true definition of sanguine is blood-red. Same differance, though.

Back