What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowed some nep seeds yesterday

about 75+ N. Splendiana x [(Veitchii x Maxima) x Veitchii] seed, courtesy of *Barracuda 45* in a small trade, cant wait to see how they do, i will post pics if i have any success.

Your welcome Kris, and i hope EVERYONE of them germinate for you...:bigthumpup:

Well. i sowed em on 2 : 1 : .5 ratio of milled live LFS : Peat : Perlite, i will keep the LFS trimmed back obviously.

Its been a week, and im not even kidding, a few have already started to germinate, i looked today and was like O_O YESSS BABIESSS!!! ill take pics when they are a little bigger, they are still too small to get on camera....>_< excitement!!!! hurray
my first nep seeds ive ever successfully germinated, Barra, your awesome!!! Thanks again

Do you mean the leaves, and everything?:0o: :) Wow, pretty cool!

Wow!! I hope mine are like that!! I have several species of Nepenthes seeds, some have been sown for 2 weeks (reinwardtiana and maxima) and some have been sown for 1 week (ampullaria varieties) I will seriously check hard for babies tomorrow when I go to look at them! You are sooo lucky, to get germination so quick! I hope they grow really well, and when they're big enough, I think photos are due!!

they are small leaves, the ones without pitchers...but im really surprised they have germinated this fast, let alone at all o_o. im very very excited.

What kind of light and humidity do you have them in? That's really fast!

4 24" 20w fluorescent tubes, temps are 75-85ºF days, 60-65ºF nights, humidity is usually around 60-70% in the day, 80-100% at night. in my terrarium in my bedroom
this will be where my Hamata and my Tentaculatas are going to be.

Heres a pic, its a bit empty right now, most of my neps are outside in my GH...the terrarium has turned more into a baby nep/seed germination/drosera/Utricularia terrarium. and yeah i know, hush about the GH box....lack of something better to rest my tank on
terrarium8-1-08.jpg

Lol, guitar hero.

Thanks for the pic and info about your conditions. I'm going to have to get some bigger and better lights like yours, one of these days...

Same here, my lighted terrarium has turned into a propagation chamber. All my Neps have outgrown it, so I'm using it to germinate Nepenthes, Drosera, and Utricularia seed, as well as establish some cuttings.

I'm thinking that the seed may appreciate a temperature drop for fast germination like you got. My terrarium stays warm all day and night, and I only got a few germinations so far, after a couple weeks.

Oh, BTW, I'm real sorry for hijacking your other thread. I didn't mean to get off-topic.:blush:

its all good mate, im having a rough week, but a great week, idk...bipolar week? xD
just really touchy i guess..

Lol.

Anyway, congratulations on the germinationg :D.

I hope to get my seeds planted soon.

Kris could you take some pictures of your light setup? I have 4 CFLS on a ten gallon aquarium and it easily gets up to 90 if it wasn't for the ice I keep replacing in it to keep the temps lower for the villosa.

yeah i will get a pic of it sometime tomorrow, i dont have time to right now

Here you go JB, 4x 24" 20watt daylight/coolwhite spectrum bulbs
Terrariumrandompics003.jpg

With a Sharper Image airconditioner fan ontop to get my night temps down and next to an open window that gets direct sunlight in the evening for about 3 hours
TerrariumLowii.jpg

I've got those seeds in this setup and if there's anything going on in there, I can't find it. It's a little busy in there!

Picture113.jpg

Picture117.jpg

of505904422.jpg

No sign yet. I'll check again tomorrow.

and more are popping up every day, a few have finally seperated from the shell, and have exposed their 2 non carnivorous leaves. :3 cant wait for my babies to get their first protopitchers

Back