What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One of My Favorite Times in Pitcher Development

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
I absolutely love the days before a pitcher pops the lid and starts to open. You can really see how the lid is being forced into various shapes and angles because of the peristome development on the interior of the lid. As I've said before, I've noticed the Nepenthes with flared peristomes stretch the lid and make it more slender right before it opens; then, as is the case with this N. Black Dragon, the lid is large and flattens out after opening.

NBlackDragon2-72608.jpg

NBlackDragon1-72608.jpg

Anyone else enjoy this stage of pitcher development? I know a lot of people wait with baited breath for the opening; but I think we all need to stop and smell the roses, enjoying these limited days.

xvart.

I'm sure Freud would have a couple of colorful comments! :blush:

I absolutely love the days before a pitcher pops the lid
Anyone else enjoy this stage of pitcher development?
xvart.

ABSOLUTELY xvart, i enjoy everyday of pitcher development, its like i cant stop looking at them enough from day to day till the blessed event of lid poping..:woot:
Right now i have another Hookriana pitcher growing to size and watching that one and another growing behind that one, plus 2 new pitchers developing on the Bical. Cant wait for those to get larger and open..:-D

By the way FANTASTIC shots!! JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!!:bigthumpup:

One time I touched a sarracenia and it just burst open it was ready to "pop" any moment. I just nudged it it was the coolest thing wish I had a camera on me.

xvart- I share your enthusiasm as well. I especially love really fat, squatty neps...like my vent. squat x sibuyanensis. It gets so plump and inflated and you can see the lid stressing under the pressure, especially around the seal of the rim. You almost expect to hear a rush of air whoosh out when it pops!

D_muscipula- I LOVE when my Sarracenia do that. Especially the really big ones. The tops swell so much that the seams of the openings looks like they're getting sucked down into the tube until they finally crack. I can't tell you how many times non cp friends of mine want to burst the tubes because they look so squeezable!! All that pressure waiting to be released....uh, yeah...what was that Freud comment again?!LOL!!!!!

That certainly didn't take long!

NBlackDragon1-72708.jpg

NBlackDragon2-72708.jpg

xvart.

most impressive JC most impressive

Very neat :). I also like seeing my ventricosa´s pitchers at that stage.

Thats my fsvorite part for my N. ventricosa. Its colors always look more stunning at that stage then it just goes down hill. I think its because the lid always curls! :-( My sang. Is the best after like 3 bays and its red shows up better.

It's starting to color up some, but it's still got a ways to go compared to it's brothers. I almost wish it would stay the current colors.

NBlackDragon2-73108.jpg

NBlackDragon1-73108.jpg

His brothers:
NBlackDragon3-73108.jpg

xvart.

Um, how do you know if the pitcher is dead?

Um, how do you know if the pitcher is dead?

It starts browning and losing shape and structure. The lid will also collapse in shape.

xvart.

i wonder what would happen if you tape the lid or something to make it open later, would it inflate more?

i wonder what would happen if you tape the lid or something to make it open later, would it inflate more?

Nope. Internal pressure is not what causes the pitcher growth and inflation. If you sealed the lid with superglue it wouldn't keep getting bigger and bigger and then explode. It would grow to the normal size (given that the superglue or tape did not negatively affect growth) and then just stop like normal. It would exactly like the others, just not open.

xvart.

Xvart, I was kiding, I was just saying that they are the same shade as a dead pitcher. :-))

Xvart, I was kiding, I was just saying that they are the same shade as a dead pitcher. :-))

lol. I'm too tired to catch sarcasm tonight!

xvart.

And the final color:

NBlackDragon2-81008.jpg

xvart.

Back