What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ampullaria x ventricosa

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
I received this N. ampullaria x ventricosa a little while ago. I thought since it is still rather juvenile that it might be interesting to chronicle the growth of this plant since the pitchers will probably dramatically change as it matures.

Nampullariaxventricosa3-73108.jpg

Nampullariaxventricosa1-73108.jpg

Nampullariaxventricosa2-73108.jpg

xvart.

Last edited:
nice xvart
im going to start a thread here once i get my seedgrown Hamata and by Tentaculata with a chronicle of photos for their growth over the next year or so...provided they make it, the hamata damn well better make it, at the price im paying.

That´s going to look nice when it matures. I really like the peristome.

Nice, but who had a ventricosa and a amp flowering at the same time?

I don't know what Ampullaira leaves look like, but that lil' guy definitely shows his Ventricosa parentage in the leaves.

mine has the stem and leaves of ventricosa but the pitchers look almost exactly like a regular speckled amp, just the peristome is darker red.

Nice, but who had a ventricosa and a amp flowering at the same time?

Not I, lol.

mine has the stem and leaves of ventricosa but the pitchers look almost exactly like a regular speckled amp, just the peristome is darker red.

I'm hoping the pitchers "bulb-out" a little more as mine matures. How big is yours?

xvart.

not too big. I got it as a cutting from a vendor that happens to grow in South Florida who's name sounds like he should be a kung-fu movie.

The pitchers aren't too big, but I think they aren't juvenile.

P1010401.jpg

P1010402.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I knew more about the form of N. ampullaria that was used as the mother in this cross. It's becoming obvious which parent contributed to which feature:

Nampullariaxventricosa1-83008.jpg

Nampullariaxventricosa2-83008.jpg

xvart.

Ha!
It's very cute though. I'd say, unless it was a 'red' Ventricosa, that the Ampullaria was 'red' form! Or 'spotted' form?
Are you sure the Ampullaria was the mother? I heard seed Neps get 70% genes from mother, 30% from father, and it looks quite ventricosey

Are you sure the Ampullaria was the mother?

Well I can't say for certainty since I didn't cross it myself; but, assuming the traditional labeling of mother x father and that I trust my source, yes. I would agree with your assessment of the coloration being from the N. ampullaria; but what form? Probably just a typical red form, since I would expect that the label would contain any special notations if it were "Burnei Red" or "Cantley's Red."

xvart.

Update: 11/15/08

Nampullariaxventricosa1-111508.jpg

Nampullariaxventricosa2-111508.jpg

xvart.

nice, looks like ventricosa controls the shape of the pitcher, lid and I think the leave shape. I can sse the amp in the lips, color, wings, and uninflated pitcher.

Dude, that color is SWEET! Nice looking plant!

Lol ant, ventricosa not ventrata... Nice plant though xvart, I usually don't like ventricosa hybrids...this is now on the list of the few I do like.

lol, sorry, I don't know why but recently I have been writing ventrata instead of ventricosa. lol

Very nice,
great color
looks like a vent red x amp red I saw for sale the other day.

Very nice! Love the peristome.

Some of my plants are looking a little ragged around the edges, but here is a small update on my N. ampullaria x ventricosa.

Nampullariaxventricosa2-12409.jpg

Nampullariaxventricosa3-12409.jpg

xvart.

Oh she's a beauty. Love the vibrant color.

Back