What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes sibuyanensis

upper

Capensis Killer
would a Nepenthes sibuyanensis be good for a windowsill plant? i dont know if this type of nepenthes is picky about humidity.:blush:
i just love the little round and tubby look that it has.

Most people agree that this species does need higher humidity than most others to pitcher. My N. sib basel is the only one that pitchers for me. So I would say they wouldnt be a good windowsill plant.

how about

N. gymnaphora

I'd say gymnamphora is a good bet, even though I've never grown it myself. It's supposed to be a relatively slow, but easy intermediate plant.

Nepenthes sibuyanensis is tricky when you start to mess with the temps. I grew my first one as a highland for a year and then as an ultra-lowland for about 6 months.

It bolted as a lowland and then mysteriously died, probably because it wasn't watered enough or something.

x Ventrata does pretty well compared to the rest of the neps I've tried.

how about

N. alata x ventrata
how long would it take for 1 pitcher to grow if it had no pitcher at all?

out of those 3 plant.
which one would be the easiest to grow?

Probably Ventrata is the easiest since it has the most ventricosa in it out of the three, and ventricosa is notoriously easy, and it also has hybrid vigor.

A ventrata could probably settle into your conditions pretty quickly, like within a month, maybe two at most, but depending on if your plant is established and hardened pretty well when you buy it, it might not even skip a beat, it'll just chug out pitchers left and right.

how long would it take for one pitcher to complete?
there's this one vendor that's selling it in a 6" hanging pot but it currently doesnt have any pitcher. they said it would take a month or two to get a set of pitcher.

One pitcher could take about a week or two to form for a ventrata, that's the rate of my ventricosas. But they can work on more than one pitcher at a time, too.

alata x ventricosa. or Ventrata. they are the same thing =]

itll be happy with windowsill humidity. just be sure its properly watered and it gets lots of light!

Alex

well i guess it depend on your humidity

my humidity on my windowsill is usually 50%-60% and 70%-90% at night. But with the unusual hot temperatures lately is bringing down my humidity some.

My ceph seems to be doing fine with this humidity as well as my Sang and Judith Finn. My Glabrata and Sibu x Hamata are still acclimating so I don't know yet. Glabrata has made 2 new leaves except for 1 is slightly smaller but other than that only a couple leaves died since I got it. And the Lady Pauline cutting I got from Jimmy is doing very well making leaves with pitcher stubs. =) So I guess it all depends on your humidity in your area. You should try getting a thermometer with a humidity gauge and see what it tells you

any easy way to determine humidity without those Hygrometer?

nope lol

3 bucks at lowes comes with thermometer and humidity gauge

sooo... anyone know how long it would take for a new leaf to finish forming and finish pitchering? i wouldnt want to wait like 2 months looking at a normal non carnivorous plant that only weired people collect because everyone knows that every normal human being collects carnivorous plant :)

i just started with a nep i heard they grow pretty fast, so i didnt expect 2 month to develop a leaf with a pitcher o_O especially when i have to grow it indoor.:crazy: :crazy: :blush:

upper, it depends on the plant. As mentioned anything with ventricosa in it is going to speed up its growth.

For example, I have a N. spectabilis and N. spectabilis x ventricosa (or maybe the reverse, but it doesn't matter). I have had the pure spec for about 2.5 years and it is on its 4th pitcher EVER and never has been put in a bigger pot. The hybrid I have had for about 6 months, probably even less, and I have had to up the pot size twice and usually has about 6 open pitchers at once.

Some neps are really fast growing, just some aren't. I don't have any experience with ventratas or even alatas but that is usually everyone's first nep for a reason. The only ventricosa crosses I have that are slow are crossed with truncata and ampullaria.

I'd probably depend on the differences in conditions from the seller and your place. It could take a while to settle in.

I'm concerned about this vendor. If it were a decent CP nursery, I'd think that a ventrata would have more pitchers than you'd know what to do with. If it is a non-CP specific source, they could have no idea of what to do with it which could set it back. They could have been feeding it or watering as they would other plants. This could all delay the settling in of you plant.

If it is a mail order generic plant source...and is located in Ohio...don't do it.

sooo... anyone know how long it would take for a new leaf to finish forming and finish pitchering? i wouldnt want to wait like 2 months looking at a normal non carnivorous plant that only weired people collect because everyone knows that every normal human being collects carnivorous plant :)

And with certain neps, it take even longer than that! Just a heads up - it can take a long time for neps to settle in and pitcher.

For example, I have a N. spectabilis and N. spectabilis x ventricosa (or maybe the reverse, but it doesn't matter). I have had the pure spec for about 2.5 years and it is on its 4th pitcher EVER and never has been put in a bigger pot. The hybrid I have had for about 6 months, probably even less, and I have had to up the pot size twice and usually has about 6 open pitchers at once.

I think it can also depend on the clone of a particular plant as well. I received a N. spectabilis in the second week of June. It's been happily growing in lowland conditions with humidity between 40-60% and has produced at least 4-5 pitchers in that amount of time. I find it to be one of the more faster growing Nepenthes. Maybe I'm just lucky? *knocks on wood*.

I know there's a few people that have received a spec and have had no luck in getting it to pitcher at all under proper conditions.

Crystal

Back