What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions for Science Classroom.

Hello, I am a 6th grade Math/Science teacher. I am really trying to get the kids interested in hobbies other than tagging. I wish that when I was younger there was someone to get me started in orchids and CP's.

I have recently picked up N. ventricosa for my classroom (this was recommended by the nursery). I have some very extreme conditions and would prefer to ask this forum for suggestions on another Nepenthes I could get for my classroom.

Conditions:
Very warm. Summer temps outside 120F +. Inside ~80F.
Humidity - Low, very low. I live in the desert. I can mist daily and will have humidity trays.
Light - Well, we have plenty of that. It will be in a south facing window.
Water - I will be using RO water.

I grow mostly orchids but have really taken an interest in CP's. Thanks in advance for your help. :hail:

that looks fine especially since it is ventricosa. the only thing that might cause problem is the humidity and make sure you keep the plant inside not ourtside. Other than that is should be fine

Do you have enough room to set up a grow rack? If you can do that I would wager your options would become almost unlimited.

Typcially, most science classwooms are adaptable to a terrarium or window sill... the latter being best for CP's. I would recommend Mexican butterworts, D. spatulata, D. capensis, D. aliciae, U. livida, U. sandersonii (there are other plants), as easy beginner plants.

If you could find it a dorsopyllum or "dewy pine" would grow well.

I'd actually recommend setting up a small terrarium for Venus Flytraps, since they're "showy" and active.

A diversity of species is good, because you could then explain how each plant lives in nutrient-poor soil and thus evolved carnivory independently.

I'd actually recommend setting up a small terrarium for Venus Flytraps, since they're "showy" and active.

A diversity of species is good, because you could then explain how each plant lives in nutrient-poor soil and thus evolved carnivory independently.

kids might activate the traps and stress the plant. Venus Flytrap requires bright light.

I agree with Mokele. A small aquarium would do the trick for alot of stuff. If you were to go that way be careful of over heating it. Alot of neps would love those conditions and VFT's would also do good it it, Good luck.

Thanks for your help. I will look into getting a couple of T5's and a small aquarium.

Does anyone have any suggestions to super hardy Nepenthes? Ones that will take a little heat and low humidity?

Truncata would be a good plant for a hot dry place if you don't mind the slow growth rate.

The N. ventricosa is super hardy compared to many other neps. N. alata and N. Judith Finn (a hybrid of N. spathulata and N. veitchii) are also pretty hardy. I grow my N. ventricosa outside during the summer hanging from the branch of my apple tree. It gets a bit of dappled sun through the leaves and a lot of indirect sun. It handles temps from 40°F and into the low 90°s with no problem. My humidity can get down to 15% RH, but is usually between 25% and 35%. I top water them and keep the soil moist.

N. ventrata is about the easiest of Neps.

Back