What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grabbed another Dome of Doom

I ended up grabbing another dome of doom today. Anyone want to take a guess at what it is? My first thought was rafflesiana, but after reading through some posts on another forum, I'm starting to think it could be hookeriana.

Before repotting
2747759539_bc97115ed7_o.jpg

After
2747763657_42588f93c8_o.jpg

I would have thought Ventricosa, but I'm not sure

Where did you buy that plant?

Got it at a very well known hardware store. ;) It's definitely not ventricosa, the pitchers are too squat and hairy. Even the tendrils are hairy, which you can see in the photo if you look closely enough.

which hardware store did you get it from?
looks like a Rafflesiana, maybe its not. i'm still a noob to neps.

Leaves resemble those on my N. ventrata. Once a few mature pitchers develop it will be easier to ID.

If it comes from Gubler's orchids then it could be N. Judith Finn. I was at the greenhouse a week ago and they had a few trays of N. Judith Finn ready to be 'domed' up.

The leaves, tendril, and the pitcher that are starting to form are definitely N. rafflesiana. 2 years ago i got 2 neps from Gubler at home depot that are rafflesiana; it is pretty rare to come by but it does happen.

J

Deffinitly not a Ventrata or Ventricosa like the others are saying, the currently developed pitcher do look like young Raff as huy stated, and the wings would have been lost long before those pitcher were they Venricosa, ventrata wouldnt be that shape in the pitcher either. So im sure its Raff.

Yeah, I just looked at the cup and it's from Gublers. I was playing it safe by not mentioning names of where I got the plants, but it looks like it's not a big deal. ^^;
Is it possible that it's a rafflesiana hybrid, or do you think it's probably pure, huy?

dang, i just went in search of CP at home depot and OSH today, there was none. i wouldnt mind if it was half dead, just as long as i can get it home.
which section do you guys find it in?

Well, the plants both went into some pretty serious shock and took a while to recover. This is the best looking one of the two.
IMG_5622.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

Looks like it could be coming down with something, so this and a couple of my other lowlanders got a good spray of ortho orthenex today.

which section do you guys find it in?
I've never found one at Home Depot either, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say the gardening section.
;) ...just playin'

Good find Chunky.

Starting to look a lot like rafflessiana, IMO.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice raff too. It has a nice all green color.

i think its a pure raff too... raff nivea...

Back