What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some Help

I have three species that have never pitchered in my care. Densiflora, spectabillis, and macfarlandi all have never pitchered for me. The spectabillis and macfarlandi grow outside during the summer with day temperatures of 80 and 70% humidity. During the night the temperature is 60 with humidity at 70%. The densiflora has similar day conditions but the temperature is 45 at night with the humidity at 50%. Does anybody else have difficulty getting these species to pitcher? Even my hamata pitchers in these conditions. Are these species best left to a greenhouse?

My spec never hasn't pitchered once since I've had it - But it finally, after more than 6 months, is inflating two pitchers.

Looking at your conditions, I'd guess they should be pitchering. Temps look ok and so does humidity. Wish I could be of more help. You know how neps are though, so fickle.

Edit: How about light levels? I've found my spec is finally inflating pitchers after greatly increasing the light it gets.

The spectabillis gets 6 hours of sunlight outdoors.

How long have you had these Nepenthes sometimes it takes awhile to get settled in to a new place like My N.gentle I got in february it didn't pitcher at all, but now finally in Augest it's starting to make a few ptichers so yours might still be adjusting or maybe it needs something also what's it's media it's in?

I hope your Neps pitcher for you I'm sure they will soon the key with all Nepenthes is patiance. =)

I have the spec and densiflora as well and similarly...nuthin'. I did see something on the spec that looks like a pitcher forming which is better than I've had before, but we'll see.

I have one densiflora under lights and another in a window greenhouse with uber-humid conditions along with the spec (and a bicalc!).

Add N diatas to the list of my plants never pitchering. I've recently put that one in the same greenhouse as the others to boost the humidity. Just know that you aren't alone in your pitcherless plants.

Another thing you could try is putting the developing tendrils under a bundle of moist LFS.

Sometimes nepenthes like that to help them make pitchers.

As for the N. densiflora, you may just have the wimpy clone. I know I do.

I've had it for 4 years and it hasn't pitchered in 2 years.

Back