What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. x 'Judith Finn' flower

Hey guys,

Well I went to water my Nepenthes a few days ago, and I noticed a little flower thing on my N. x 'Judith Finn'... I don't have a picture now, but I can get one tomorrow.

Now I heard that these plants are infertile or sterile? Is that true? So is there nothing good that can come outta the flower?

It's sort of surprising that this plant is flowering, since it barely makes pitchers for me, and never seems to grow so well. I've heard that maybe some of these clones are weak because of tissue culture. Do Nepenthes often flower because of stress or poor growing conditions? Or is it somehow happy?

Thanks,
-Ben

It might be sterile if it is from tissue culture. Flowering happens in good conditions but if it is stressed this could be a last effort.

I had a ventrata flower once, sitting in the bathroom window sill, in February. It had no logical sense to do so but then again, it didn't die. Take a picture!

It's just I've never heard of Nepenthes doing a "last ditch effort" thing. Also, I've had this plant for at least 6 years, since it was a very small plant. But it might be unhappy because it often dries out too much...

Anyways, here are pictures:

Here's the plant
DSCN6790.jpg

Closeup of the flower (I think it's a male??)
DSCN6789.jpg

Most recent pitcher (takes a while to completely color up, and I sorta accidentally bumped off the lid...)
DSCN6787.jpg

-Ben

its male. and its not sterile either! =] i have many seedlings of splendiana x 'Judith Finn'

Alex

i like the lidless pitcher lol, i almost accidentally bumped off mine too, it just "cracked".

its male. and its not sterile either! =] i have many seedlings of splendiana x 'Judith Finn'

Alex

Oh, ok. That's cool. How do I know when to collect pollen? And how do I store it? I think D'Amato said you can put it in foil and then stick it in the freezer? Or is there a better way? And how long will it last?

Oh and are most N. x 'Judith Finn' clones male?

i like the lidless pitcher lol, i almost accidentally bumped off mine too, it just "cracked".

Haha yeah, when I bumped it off I was like "Ah no!! Now it's gonna be ugly..."

-Ben

Oh, ok. That's cool. How do I know when to collect pollen? And how do I store it? I think D'Amato said you can put it in foil and then stick it in the freezer? Or is there a better way? And how long will it last?

Oh and are most N. x 'Judith Finn' clones male?

Haha yeah, when I bumped it off I was like "Ah no!! Now it's gonna be ugly..."

-Ben

Ugly? i think it looks cool without the lid....

Now can you get a picture with icicles and snow in the background? :-D

Congratulations! Is N. x 'Judith Finn' a hybrid with N. spathulata? It looks like it to me.

Yes, it is spathulata x veitchii.

Ben, all 'Judith Finn' are the same clone. therefore being all the same gender. so they are all male yes. unless you have a hybrid of spathulata x veitchii that isnt 'Judith Finn'

Alex

Hmm ok thanks Alex. How do I store the pollen once it falls off the flower? I think other people may want it or something...

-Ben

Well the plant looks very very happy anyway!
Sorry. Can't help with the pollen storing. I would store it though if I was you - there's bound to be someone out there wanting it!

Here we go again...

DSCN7089.jpg

What does this mean??

-Ben

Back