What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i love northiana!- is it harder for you to grow than the others?

Hi alec,

It used to be the most difficult until I changed the media from sphagnum moss to burnt earth. Now it grows very well and pitchers on every leaf. :)

Hi Cindy,

Breathtaking plants! Thanks for sharing. Could you share what you mean by "burnt earth"? I'm not sure what that is. ???

Thanks in advance,
Laura

Hi Laura, burnt earth has been translated for me as just fire kilned clay. Rather similar to how bricks are made or how leca is made. It is just the burnt earth is rather raw because clayey soil is unevenly heated.

No idea why and how it works but it seems that everyone who has tried it in this region has got excellent success with the difficult species such as N. northiana and N. campanulata. A substitute you may use is Schultz APS/Fuller's earth, a media used for Pinguicula.

I can't stand it! I keep coming back and drooling over that bau red! If I had money I would be beging for a cutting! :-))

A thousand thanks, Cindy. :hail:

I've been wanting a N. northiana for a long time.

Now I'm worried, though, since I have the N. campanulata in an LFS/perlite/pumice mix. So far it's doing pretty well, but I might repot it with some APS.

Laura

I just had a change to tend to my Nepenthes for the first time in a couple of weeks, and boy were they ever neglected! The bigger ones were fine; but, the small to medium sized ones were so dehydrated, and all their leaves were shriveled up and stiff. I watered them (liberally) and now they look as good as new; except for the massive loss of pitchers. Once again, Cindy; I wish my plants (on their best days) looked as good as your on yours' worst days!

xvart.

xvart, my plants are living in where they can be found naturally. I have no excuse for neglected plants which will look bad.

Hmm...maybe the intermediate or highland ones. I am not showing pics of my N. copelandii. :-))

Back