What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truncata feeding controversy

Question for you - how is this possible?

All animals can't be herbivorous.

Not a question of importants, or moral rights to live, which are 100% human ideas and 100% not applicable to nature.

Now, granted, neps don't eat fish in the wild, but so what? OTHER things eat fish, and what difference does it make who or what does the eating? Is it ok for ME to eat a fish, but not, say, a desset animal?

It means that a fish wouldn't be digested alive in a very small amount of water without enough oxegen to breath properly. Also it isn't wrong to EAT the fish, it is wrong to torture a fish efore it dies in a way that would never happen without human interaction.

Also it isn't wrong to EAT the fish, it is wrong to torture a fish efore it dies in a way that would never happen without human interaction.

Someone can have a whole different opinion on that, you know.

I myself would not be able to bring myself to feed a Nepenthes a fish, but, I don't find this wrong or a crime. Just remember, this is all about opinions (not specifically saying that last part you). I don't know why, but I might regret on posting this.

Edit: And besides, how is this any different if, say, a grasshopper fell in. There is no difference. Both will feel the pain of slowly being eaten.

Excelent point Capensis... I have to agree 100% with what you say, its just is all about opinions.

my vote is no to feeding fish alive to a nepethes.

Hello all I just wanted to give my 2 cents I have had my truncata for over 4 years now and for 3 of them years I have been feeding it live fish in the past year or so I have been getting some really big pictures so when my fish have baby I gave it a lot of them at one time most of my fish gave birth so I gave over 100 baby live fish to my plant seems to love it and grow very quickly at one point I had 11 pictures on it at one time that's with 2 basals there was no smell I keep them in my room so if there was I would of stopped feeding it fish

for the ppl that are going to get all over me for giving it baby fish the fish I have can have 100 or more live baby at once with 10 female fish all giving birth at the same time most would be eaten by their parents or if they grow it would be too hard to maintain a fish tank with that many fish so I see it as saveing some and let the others havery a useful death and before anybody says you can kill them humanely how do you kill something humanely that is so small

I say it's wrong to feed the plant the fish, but if it's for a scientific reason example to see how many weeks it takes for the Nep to digest the fish and once the pitcher dries up to see what's left and if the newer pitchers get even more bigger from the previous meals in the past pitchers etc. I guess it's ok.

A lot of crazy things are done in the name of science. But as a scientist, I'm right there with Mr. Aga. To feed something to something else for the amusement of a third party is wrong. But to feed something to something else to study, to document, to learn, and to understand makes all the difference in the world to me.

If I had the inspiration, I would feed a Nepenthes clone my own blood and record my findings diligently to better know this genus. But never would I out of some demonic, occult, ritualistic desire to... I'm not even sure what.

I am a new member here but I think Mr. Aga's decision is quite tasteful and alright. I do agree however, that it should be only "feeder" fish that get fed to anything. My father feeds our large tropical fish "feeder" goldfish once in a while to vary their diet and give them the feeling of being a hunter like they would in the wild (not to say that truncatas catch fish in nature). Also, I used to feed my very large preying mantis guppies and it thrived off of it. I think whatever makes your plant/fish/snake/insect/grandma happy and healthy, go for it, no matter if it is natural or not! I like this idea too in that I would think a small goldfish would smell a lot more pleasant than a large mouse digesting in a pitcher! :p

This reminds me of the nepenthes salad I ate last night. There's no difference between that and lettuce, right?

I'm still struggling to see why people are saying it would be okay if it was a feeder fish, but cruel because it was a pet fish? Aren't they the same thing? If not, sucks to be born labeled only a feeder. I do have many fond memories of my first goldfish Snuffy, who was indeed a feeder who lived for many years.

Back