What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truncata feeding controversy

Well if it makes anyone feel any better, it was a sick fish...

Anyways how are we going to know what can work in this world if we don't try? That may sound sadistic and it prolly is, but maybe Mr. Aga isn't right in the head. Have you seen those Halloween pics?

I dunno all I'm saying is each to is own, and if he didn't want controversy, he shouldn'ta posted those pics and shoulda kept it to himself.

-Ben

I don't have a problem with what he did.

anoles are common in florida. (I will get soooo angry if anyone post pics. of one being feed to a plant) D it is different because they are eaten by snakes in the wild and NEED to eat them.

I don't think feeding a couple brown anoles to your plants would have any effect on the population. They're everywhere. It's breeding time around my house and I see dozens of babies clinging to my neps so I know its only a matter of time before some fall into the pitchers.

Heres an old pic I took of a less than intelligent "night lizard"/gecko.

lft01.jpg

Note: He was found like that. I don't feed my plants at all.

I dunno all I'm saying is each to is own, and if he didn't want controversy, he shouldn'ta posted those pics and shoulda kept it to himself.

Knowledge is best shared.

Lots of things eat fish. Cute minnows swim around the shores of our lake, and the bigger fish eat them. It's sad but true. I used to have fish, so I don't think I would do that, but I don't care who else does it. BTW that's a cool picture JRFxtreme.

Knowledge is best shared.
I agree also seeing that night gecko reminds me of my youth in Louisiana I was really interested in reptiles and I'd catch them and let them go after awhile..

Being late night for me I should have read the posts a bit better he asked for an ill fish so I don't really mind the idea of feeding a Nep a fish if it means the nep would be able to absorb the nutrients feeder fish would be best since they're not too big..

I used to feed my snakes live mice, but now they eat frozen mice that's been thawed so I guess I'm used to things like that.. :crazy:

if its alive.... think about slowly getting digested alive.... i feel sad for the fish. but if its a dead fish, then go ahead.

i fed a fish to one of my sanguinea pitchers. but the fist was already dead. in 2 hours it has already half dissolved! the next day it was just bones and it didnt take much longer for those to be gone too. didnt stink and didnt rot the pitcher. ha. it was a small fish though. zebra danio. and like i said it was alreayd dead.

Alex

I wouldn't put a live fish in any of my Nepenthes' pitchers. There isn't anything wrong for me with eating fish, but there isn't any reason to intenionally grant a fish an excruciating death. Plus why would a Nepenthes need to eat a fish in the first place? Mine catch plenty of bugs on their own. I would only feed Nepenhes dead fish.

In my opinion, it was OK. Using my morals and beliefs, I see no problem with feeding a fish to a carnivorous plant. I see no problem with feeding a reptile, or a frog, or an insect to a plant.
This is just my opinion though. I wouldn't do it personally, because I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it. I know it sounds awful but I'd rather give an insect to a plant alive, then squish it myself. I find ants and flies different. Stick Insects I like so I wouldn't bring myself to do it.
I know this sounds hypocritical, but I find nothing wrong with treating some animals differently. Not all animals are the same. They do different things, live differently, treat each other differently. So I too treat each of them differently.

That's the best way I have to explain my opinion.
I do agree it sounds a bit harsh being slowly digested - but it sounds worse for me because it would be able to swim and presumably live anyway? Somehow I don't see it as cruel though...

I don't think there would be enough oxygen for a fish to live that long. The surface area is pretty small for most species and it is the surface area that lets oxygen disslove into the water.

I dont like the idea to "feed" a plant with a living fish...

Nepenthes don't catch fish on the wild so why do that?
I go with the idea to feed the plants as similar as they do on the wild (I guess some nepenthes will catch frogs? I stick to insects, as kath say "not all animals are the same").

Second, I think is cruel even if the fish is sick... kill it and then feed it to the plant if you like, then will be a diferent situation!

things die all the time,its life ... deal with it...kill, then feed ,or feed it live, or leave it be... its gonna die no matter what and there is no such thing as a "nicer" way to die. welcom to the real world people.(sorry if i seem mean, ive seen a lot of death for a 17yr old)

Oh, so you wouldn't care if you died slowy as you are being say burned alive or die peacefully with no pain in your sleep after a nice long life? There are nicer ways to die, you just can't look at death as equally horrible.

Ant ......tell me... have you ever been shot...when i was , i didnt feel the pain, i only felt the fear of dieing...death itself is our greatest enemy, not pain, because that we over come (how would you know dieing in your sleep is peaceful, and long life...where talking about a fish not people, theres a difference

Blablabla... well to die or to live one more day, in escence all living creatures are able to fell pain, and still we spray poison to kill ants and other insects in order to make our living more confortable.

Looking things on that perspective I have to agree with Divine Tree and just accept the dead as part of the nature... still I will like to die as Ant say, or at less I hope dont die on pain as my grandmother who die of cancer in the throat (I dont think the valium she has to take was for the "fear of dieing")... any way this is going away from the main post.

I still stick to insects to feed my plant, I will say they are less sentient than a fish...

its like.... those restaurant where they give you a living fish, skin it alive, and put lemon and stuff on it and give it to people to eat, while they're STILL alive.
on the other hand, one chop on the head, cook everything. there's no difference.
its like being killed instantly
and getting tortured until you die of pain.
i am NOT scared of death. i am scared of pain. the pain i will feel before i die. and MAYBE the pain i feel after i die.

I used to be scared of the pain of dying, too. It sounds wird because I'm so young - but i'm also particularly sensitive about movies. I never watch horror movies - they don't scare me - they send me into shock sometimes :(
Anyway - I watched a movie - and in it one character was holding onto this other guys leg - if he let go he'd drop and impale himself and die. The guy he was holding onto was also held off the edge - secured by another guy. (call him 'third guy') they were in an elevator shaft - and the elevator was coming down. It would've killed all three of them - because third guy couldn't pull both of them up. So third guy told the guy he was holding onto to kick off the other guy - kick him off so he'd fall and die so he could save the other one. And all this time the guy at the bottom was screaming at him to not let him go. He didn't want to die. But the other guy still did it.
I don't know why, but that particular scene really scared me. It made me feel sick but I couldn't think of anyway round it that wouldn't have killed all of them. It made me really scared - because I kept wondering what I would've done - and whether I woud have pleaded to stay alive at the expense of the other two as well. It made me feel sick and shivery for weeks. Then, I guess I just accepted it - that there was nothing I could do. It was life - you have to just carry on.
The sad thing was the guy who ended up being dropped and dying - his death was instant and painless except for 2 seconds falling - but he still knew he was going to die. He didn't care it was going to be painless. It was the death itself.

I still don't watch scary movies though. :)

That was directed at Upper. Sorry to get off track. :(

so, shouldn't this have been a poll? I think that he shouldn't fed the fish alive.

I used to be scared of the pain of dying, too. It sounds wird because I'm so young - but i'm also particularly sensitive about movies. I never watch horror movies - they don't scare me - they send me into shock sometimes :(
Anyway - I watched a movie - and in it one character was holding onto this other guys leg - if he let go he'd drop and impale himself and die. The guy he was holding onto was also held off the edge - secured by another guy. (call him 'third guy') they were in an elevator shaft - and the elevator was coming down. It would've killed all three of them - because third guy couldn't pull both of them up. So third guy told the guy he was holding onto to kick off the other guy - kick him off so he'd fall and die so he could save the other one. And all this time the guy at the bottom was screaming at him to not let him go. He didn't want to die. But the other guy still did it.
I don't know why, but that particular scene really scared me. It made me feel sick but I couldn't think of anyway round it that wouldn't have killed all of them. It made me really scared - because I kept wondering what I would've done - and whether I woud have pleaded to stay alive at the expense of the other two as well. It made me feel sick and shivery for weeks. Then, I guess I just accepted it - that there was nothing I could do. It was life - you have to just carry on.
The sad thing was the guy who ended up being dropped and dying - his death was instant and painless except for 2 seconds falling - but he still knew he was going to die. He didn't care it was going to be painless. It was the death itself.

I still don't watch scary movies though. :)

That was directed at Upper. Sorry to get off track. :(

lol, if i was in that situation as the bottom guy, and i know that it would be painless, i'll just let go. but i'm scared of the pain. the pain of the impact when my head/body hit the bottom. since it HURTS, i dont care if its like 2 second until death, when i get hurt, i feel as if the time goes slower just to torture me. if its a gunshot to the head, i'll feel the bullet go in. and then imagining being digested ALIVE, skin peeling off every second. its like.... a full body sunburn until death.

if there was a poll, i'd vote NO. feeding fish alive is very very wrong.

To me one creature's life isn't more important than another's.

Question for you - how is this possible?

All animals can't be herbivorous.

Not a question of importants, or moral rights to live, which are 100% human ideas and 100% not applicable to nature.

Now, granted, neps don't eat fish in the wild, but so what? OTHER things eat fish, and what difference does it make who or what does the eating? Is it ok for ME to eat a fish, but not, say, a desset animal?

Back