What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Campanulata Is Unhealthy :(

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
For some reason this guy isn't growing. When it finally does make a leaf, the tendril dies after a couple days.

I've grown this for about 2 months now. It's in a mix of 1:1:1 LFS, Perlite, Coral. I water it so that it is always moist.

It's in one of my lowland tanks next to a very healthy N. Bicalcarata and a recovering N. Albo "Black".

I fertilize with Maxsea.

I've looked through other threads about this problem and found this thread:
http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113674&highlight=campanulata.

I'm starting to think the problem is too much calcium.

Here are some pics:

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

:-(

The problem in that thread was identified to be the MaxSea fertilizer, but the coral may also be a contributing factor; recently I switched my N. madagascariensis into a mix containing 25% coral (as an experiment), and it lost a few leaves, but I do realize that it is currently facing less-than-adequate conditions and I had also picked away the pure LFS from its roots. It is also a lowlander, but it is growing on my windowsill.

I would recommend using a different fertilizer for awhile, and then if things don't improve, change the mix.

Jeff, first of all your N. campanulata looks very healthy. My plants in LFS and perlite never looked as good. I would suggest stop fertilising the plant and observe what happens next. The coral is not likely to cause the problem of the dried up tendril since it is only two months. I have placed coral chips next to the N. campanulata roots and the plant grew better and even flowered for me.

Your media also seem rather moist to me i.e. the algae on the LFS. The N. campanulata plants I have in LFS and perlite are only watered when the surface media is dry to touch. The LFS is never green with algae. The humidity in your tank should be fine with cutting back on watering.

Thanks both of you!

Ok, I'll do both; I'll water less and fertilize less and see what happens.

Hmm. I use the maxsea fertilizer (about once a month or six weeks), and don't see this on my campy, which looks very healthy. Maybe you're using more? I mix it a touch weak too. I also water this plant infrequently.

Capslock

Hmm. I use the maxsea fertilizer (about once a month or six weeks), and don't see this on my campy, which looks very healthy. Maybe you're using more? I mix it a touch weak too. I also water this plant infrequently.

Capslock

Heh. Quite a bit more! I've been using it every 2 weeks on all my neps without any ill effects. I flush with tap water whenever I get around to watering them.

Just check out this Maxima! (I don't know if this is just some weird natural growth pattern):

IMG_1514.jpg

EDIT: And I use it full strength.

Back