What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes cutting

upper

Capensis Killer
what's better, rooting it with LFS, pumice, or water.

for water, i got those little tube thing that you get when you buy flowers and stuff.
and for pumice and LFS, i got pots.

ive had more success with LFS/perlite...other people will say differently. what type of nep cutting are you trying to root?

live lfs: 2/3 success rate!

so, success rate in live sphagnum is only 66%?
its a ventrata btw.

Well im sure by what truncata says is that they root very easy. I would put it in LFS, the best so far with me.

does the LFS need to be wet? or like... regular potting LFS wet.
if they are all the same, i would prefer to do the water method because i can see through it.
i'll try both then, take the one from pumice out and put them in water instead.

edit: also, does rooting hormone(superthrive) help? if it does, how much should i put in a little tube of water?

if they are all the same, i would prefer to do the water method because i can see through it.

According to PhissionKorps, light negatively affects rooting, so if you did do the water in a glass method, you would want to cover it so that it is dark in the water and the glass. Did you see this thread?

xvart.

I put them in pots of regular nep media (with lfs), and in normal growing conditions, though usually not the brightest spots, and get about a 90% success rate. No bags, I just cut up the bottom of the stem, dip in powdered rooting hormone, and cram em into pots. Then leave them alone!!! Don't go checking for roots all the time. I never check. Just wait for it to start to grow a normal new leaf and by then there are lots of roots.

Capslock

all 3 ventrata cuttings i have rooted quickly in LFS/Perlite.
these are a couple of them. the nodes first appeared in march. they grow quickly.
Terrariumrandompics002.jpg

so, success rate in live sphagnum is only 66%?
its a ventrata btw.

well! My 2/3 was N.glabrata

Also..I didn't do anything special to the vine. the vine is very thin...so I didn't make any slits or anything. I am sure if I did the third one would also have struck.

alright, i'll put half in LFS/Pumice and half in water then, i'll see which one does better.

Back