What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premature Pitcher Opening Ramispina

DrWurm

Californian in DC
So, I got a double potted Ramispina (2 plants, 1 pot) a few weeks ago. The tops of the pitchers dont seem to mature at the same rate as the bodies, so the pitcher is half opened very early in the ballooning stage. Once the pitcher becomes full sized, the top "leaf" is only half formed and rather sickly looking.

The first pitchers that matured with this plant were perfectly formed, and the bodies with malformed tops look healthy too. The plant leaves are healthy looking and there is no obvious sign of disease. I'll try to get some pictures up soon to help.

Has anyone ever seen this before or have a solution?

Yep, it's fairly common. I call it "tiny lid syndrome". I think plants under mild stress seem to get this, often after repotting, a dry spell, or something like this. I see it in several of my plants from time to time. It usually doesn't seem to disturb the pitcher which otherwise grows normally.

Max

it happened to me after repotting my sang, it happens, hoepfully your next pitcher will be perfect ^^

Awesome. I was hoping this wouldn't turn into another burn the mutant thread. :p

Thanks Guys

-Jason

my lowii does that. Low humidity caused by increased air circulation has caused this. But as max advised me as well, it will pass and the subsequent pitchers will be tougher and nicer. :)

Mine do this from time to time also. I'm not sure why, as I keep my conditions very stable, but it seems that within the next pitcher or two it recovers.

Back