What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My newest pitcher to open

I'm thrilled to have my spectabilis' very first pitcher since I got it several months ago:

spect3.jpg

It wasn't growing well at the southern window (too much eave and tree shade) and the main vine even died shortly after arriving. I moved it into the window "greenhouse" at an east window and it settled in nicely.

spect2.jpg

This is by far my most striking nepenthes to date, although Lady Pauline is working on her first pitcher as well.

One more:

spect1.jpg

My theory is that the plant was inspired by the bicalcarata growing two plants away. This is the newest pitcher on the bicalc which reaches across the D adelae and it hangs right next to the spectabilis, possibly providing encouragement:

bicalinwindow.jpg

Now that I've accepted that the big southern window is too shady for my neps and have moved them, I'm hoping for many more "nep's first pitcher" pictures.

I love both plants! I wish I had waited to find a bigger bical as mine still doesn't have fangs and only grew 3 leaves this summer.

Love that spec - great colors. Wish mine would take a lesson from yours. I've had mine for months now - around 9 if I remember correctly - and it still refuses to pitcher. It actually started to inflate a few recently, only to abort them. Argh! All my spec hybrids pitcher no problem, but the pure spec is being stubborn! But - it sure grows fast!

I'd expected more of a fight with this plant since it was part of the crop from a certain nursery that was clearancing them out recently and said that they hadn't pitchered in 9 months. I don't know if it is the crazy increase in humidity or more sunlight, but clearly it is enjoying itself since moving into the zippered up greenhouse. Now let's see if it'll happen for me again or if this was a fluke.

Wow, I'm drooling over that spectabilis! It's such an awesome plant. I had a big one but it died shortly after delivery.

*Stares at the peristome* Very nice nep you got there :)

I really hope my spectab looks like yours eventually! Nice plant.

mine did the same thing. Stalled for something like 9-10 months, then finally decided to pitcher like crazy. It's weird, because I didn't change the conditions at all! Beautiful pitcher, love the wide peristome and of course, the stripes! Is that the "north sumatra" form?

North Sumatra form?? Heck, I'm lucky that I know it is a spectabilis! It was not labeled as anything specific. Hopefully mine will also pitcher like crazy.

It appears to be the north sumatra form. If so, it will just get better and better!

I think we might have the same clone, but mine has stopped pitchering since I was away in Germany. Geeze mom.

Back