What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something wrong with my nep?

elsantaclause

A windowsill grower
Well I've had my Glabrata for about 7 weeks now and everything was fine until I added 2 32 watt Fluorescent lights to my windowsill. After I added the lights the newer leaves it started to make got smaller and the had small brown or red dots on them. They are also slightly more yellow on the sides then the older leaves. Do you think something is wrong?

Second newest leaf
P8230049.jpg

P8230048.jpg
new leaf
DSC02270-1.jpg
DSC02271.jpg

probably too much light. I've found that too much light can cause yellowing/browning of leaves as well as red coloration. Try moving it farther from the light somehow or getting rid of one of the flouros. EDIT: I stand corrected!

The increased light probably caused the smaller leaves and ligher color. Which in itself isn't necessarily bad. I doubt the light is causing the dots. That looks like some sort of damage to the leaf.. perhaps by an insect? Note that the leaf is slightly deformed where the dots are as the cells in that area didn't fully develop. The reddish halo around the damage is the plants response.

I'm probably 100% sure its not an insect because I don't know any insect that does that? Also the only insect I did have was about 10 fruit flies that were flying around but my sundew took care of them. Maybe they were burned nectar glands?
The newest leaf its made in the 3rd photo doesn't have the red halos but it does have some of the brown spots

P.S. If it was an insect or disease what do you think it could be?

many of my neps get brown spots where nectar glands are. but i never find any insects. of course im not always as lucky as i found red mites yesterday scuttling over my larger neps that i had outside....good ol' orthene took care of that...

Have you been misting it? Could also be a pathogen that got in and caused a leaf spot.. Really hard to say for sure but I don't think its anything serious or caused by the lights. So I wouldn't be concerned about them at this point. I don't think they are nectar glands. The surface of the leaf looks sunken where the dot is and the halo with the lighter green area in between the center and the reddish flush is classic pathogen reaction.

Back