What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do your grow your UltraHigh land Neopenthes?

i have never grown any hi/ultrahi land nepenthes, just curious about where u guy grow them at?

i have never grown any hi/ultrahi land nepenthes, just curious about where u guy grow them at?

Depending upon where you live and whether your nights fall into the low sixties or, more preferably, the fifties, some growers can get away with growing their highland Nepenthes outdoors in the simplest cold frame or in an unheated garage under lights. I do both in Northern California, bringing in outdoor plants only when there is a threat of frost.

Some that do very well under those conditions include Nepenthes aristolochoides, ephippiata, hamata, lowii, macrophylla, ovata, villosa, among others.

Those highland / ultra-highland conditions are also appropriate for Heliamphora and Darlingtonia . . .

I grow mine in a basement setup. They get 40's at night in the winter. Summer they kinda slow down due to warmer nights.

Depending upon where you live and whether your nights fall into the low sixties or, more preferably, the fifties, some growers can get away with growing their highland Nepenthes outdoors in the simplest cold frame or in an unheated garage under lights. I do both in Northern California, bringing in outdoor plants only when there is a threat of frost.

Some that do very well under those conditions include Nepenthes aristolochoides, ephippiata, hamata, lowii, macrophylla, ovata, villosa, among others.

Those highland / ultra-highland conditions are also appropriate for Heliamphora and Darlingtonia . . .

hehe funny thing about my Heli Minor which i put it in the low land terrarium and it rot from root which have live sp-moss i feel so bad =[

i live in zone 7/8 the summer night drop to 60 to 70 in summer and day time is 85 to 95/100 actually 100 is a pretty rare case it only happen in july, and ya. now is sep. the night temperature is pretty cold best time to place an order on some ultra highland nepenthes?
look like i need to place some ice inside highland terrarium before going to bed

i grow mine on a growrack in my room, it regularly gets into the 50s at night and mid 70s to low 80s in the day

I grow mine in my basement which stays cold enough for most of the year.

I grow mine in my basement which stays cold enough for most of the year.

so hmm do u use flourscent light? or natural sunlight? terrarium required?

I'm with BigBella. I grow in Northern California. We have cool, humid breezes all summer, and above-freezing winters. I grow in a basement, which is naturally at moderate temperatures year round. I use T5 and T12 fluorescent tubes, no terrariums. My temps are highland/intermediate, and I can grow almost anything in there, from macrophyllas and hamatas to N. ampularias. I've flowered N. viking and N. spectabilis in my grow room.

Capslock

so hmm do u use flourscent light? or natural sunlight? terrarium required?

My basement does not get any natural light. I do use terrariums for my ultra highlanders because my humidity fluctuates way too much otherwise. I use a combination of fluorescent light (T8, cool white) and LED light.

Back