What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

glabrata and muluensis x lowii - whats the secret?

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
I've had both of these for 9 months or so. They are both growing vigorously - but not pitchering. They both have started to inflate pitchers, only to abort them early on. They are in my highland growshelf, under the following conditions:

Daytime humidity drops to about 65% - it's the best I'm able to attain in the day.
Nightime humidity is 85%+

Daytime temps usually 78F-80F, occasionally reach 83F.
Nighttime temps 58-59F.

16 hours under 4 40 watt 3000 lumen bulbs.

Just about all my other highlanders are flourishing - but these two won't pitcher for me. I figured for a long time they were just settling in - but the other plants I got in the same order are fine, and I figured by now these two would be fine. Any ideas?

hmm.... The glabrata seems pretty easy in my conditions. The only difference is that my daytime temps are max 70F. Even the talangensis loves those colder conditions BTW.

Yeah - if there was one sticking point I thought it might be a bit warm in the day. It would be easy for me to cool it down a few degrees maybe down to 75F max, which would allow me to bring the humidity up into the 70% range for the day too. I was just hoping they'd adapt to those bit warmer day temps.

How close are those two plants to the lights? Your temperatures and humidity are fine imo.

Can you post some pics of the plants so we can evaluate how they have grown over the past 9 months?

Maybe some more constant wetness/humidity around the tendrils will do something.

My N. muluensis x lowii refused to pitcher for awhile when I changed the growing conditions which included lower humidity. I returned it back to higher humidity conditions and it started to pitcher again.

Back