What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
It seems my plants have been busy lately. Here's an update on some of them.

Here is my air-layering experiment on my very ugly green amp. The plan was to air-layer it, then cut it and hopefully force basals to grow. Well it beat me to it. The air-layering seems to be working, I have a tiny root emerging.
P1020711.jpg

Entire plant:
P1020712.jpg

N. spectabilis clone 1, I apologize for it being dark.
P1020715.jpg

Full shot, with a newly opened pitcher on the right, older one in the center, and one finishing up opening on the left.
P1020718.jpg

Not quite basals, but four activated nodes on the spec x vent.
P1020720.jpg

Basal on my bical x amp
P1020721.jpg

Anyone interested in a basal swap later on?

Enjoy,
Crystal

You're doing air layering?! Good for you! Great job! Of course now I've gotta do it!

Looks awsome Crystal. Seems like I need to try that air-layering.

Looking good :) Congratulations on all the basals/nodes! Airlayering is when you notch the stem and try to have it root from there, right?

Thanks for the compliments guys! Air-layering seems quite fool-proof, unlike trying to root a cutting. So far in cuttings I'm about 1:1.

Here's the article that I followed, it's the best one I've run across:
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8130

EDIT: That's right Cap. I did a pretty deep diagonal slit and stuffed some LFS in the wound to prevent it from healing.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in a basal swap later on?

YES! Once a few of my newer basals get a little bit bigger I was thinking of setting up a basal trading post thread, for basal swaps. Here's what I got coming up in the coming weeks/months:
  • N. (kampotiana x maxima) x sanguinea (several)
  • N. gracilis

Good growing, as always, Crystal.

xvart.

Thanks for the compliment X. Sounds good to me. You can have your choice of basals/active nodes whenever they get up to size. We can work out the details later, feel free to shoot me a PM anytime.

Crystal

awesome update, only a fraction of your humongous collection ;)

one of these days I want a real update :)

Chris - Thanks :). I wouldn't consider my collection humongous though. I have a bit of everything so it only seems that way lol. I'll try to do another update soon. What constitutes a 'real' update? :-))

Jimmy - Me too. The spec is one of my favorites. I didn't do anything to encourage basal growth. I have read through several threads about bending and repotting to aid the plant at a 90 degree angle and such. It all seems like a lot of work to me. The way my setup is, I'm worried about possibly breaking the vine off when moving them around if I deliberately try to bend it like that. A few are naturally sideways, but oddly enough those haven't made basals. The spec x vent is a two foot vine and is naturally sideways. It has no basals but four active nodes.

It seems I've gone from no basals to several. Maybe it's something in the water? :-D :poke:

I have to give Av credit for the active nodes on the spec x vent. They were there, though tiny, when I received it :).

Crystal

Here's an update on the green amp air-layering experiment.

The roots are beginning to grow out of the slit. The root can be seen about center picture. There's about three roots forming that I've seen so far (I didn't move all the LFS, it's hard to get back on without breaking them).
P1020880.jpg

I don't know what I'm going to do with the cutting once the roots grow a bit more. It's so ugly!
P1020884.jpg

It's decided to make another basal. There's three now instead of two.
P1020885.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Crystal

Dyang! Yo Go Girl!!!!!!

Thanks guys! :)

The point of the air-layer was to get basals to grow....but that was supposed to happen after rooting and removing the cutting. I don't think I need anymore than three lol!

Crystal

very nice crissy, cant wait to see the plants get larger :3

lol, the stem may be ugly but, you can always wait for the bad leaves to just die and be replaced. is that all green? any way you could trade it to someone if you really don't want it.

That's true. It is indeed the all green form. Looks like I'll have some pitchers soon on the basals. When I do get ready to cut the vine, it's going to be a pretty large cutting. To give an idea, it's in a pot that's approximately 10" across. Probably a bit of an overkill since the roots were small, but I won't have to worry about it for awhile. I'll probably cut it in a few weeks, I want the roots to grow a bit more. If anyone wants a rather large, very ugly rooted amp 'green', I'm sure something can be worked out.

Crystal

How cool is that. Thanks for the info!

i would be interested in it to try as a windowsill plant, ive seen it done......and i love amp. so yeah. lol

Back