What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conditions for N. mirabilis x thorelii?

I just received a plant called N. "Effulgent Koto", one of those many "Koto" hybrids. It's apparently a cross between N. mirabilis and N. thorelii. I did not realize this when I traded for it, because the trader did not specify which "Koto" it was, just that it was "Koto". Now, I read the tag that came with the plant, and it says "Effulgent Koto"; why they couldn't just read it and tell me is beyond me :p.

My conditions suit mainly highland plants, so what are the limits that this plant should be able to take, since it's a hybrid?

So far the temperatures in my grow room are around 65-75 in the day, and around 55-60 or so at night. The temperatures outside have dropped considerably recently, so I haven't really been able to average out just what the normal temps are.

Also, humidity isn't incredibly high. 40%-60% in the day, 70%-80% or so at night.

I also have four 4' 40W daylight bulbs over my Nepenthes.

I really don't want to loose this plant, so any help is appreciated.

-Ben

Considering that mirabilis is a highly tolerant lowlander, and thorelli is a highlander, I'd say you should be able to grow it in just about any conditions. Your room might be slightly on the cold side, but it's probably fine.

...and thorelii is a highlander

Are ya sure about that? From what I've read on the web, it's a lowlander. Although, apparently little is known about this plant. Wikipedia says it's known to grow from sea level to only 200m.

-Ben

That's odd, I was seeing highlander... Well, in any case, it probably has mirabilis' tolerance. Although, now I'm not so sure about your temps....

I have two N. thorelii and three N. mirabilis x thorelii thriving in year round lowland conditions with temperatures at 75F-90F. :)

Can the pots of N. mirabilis sit in water or should they be in conditions like that of a hanging basket?

Back