What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rejects turning out really well

Cindy

Staff member
Some background...these N. campanulata plants were the "leftovers" from a mass order in July because the growth tips have turned black. I potted them straight into burnt earth and in 2.5 months, they each produced three new leaves. Burnt earth rocks! :rookwoot:

N. campanulata rejects
campanulata_tip.jpg

campanulata_tip1.jpg

2.5 months later
campanulata_tip2.jpg

campanulata_tip3.jpg

What exactly is "burnt earth"?

I was told it is burnt soil from brick furnace. It's the leftovers. ???

I can't tell from the pictures, but did it start a whole other growth point? Or did the blackened leaf just die back and growth resumed? I've been told that sometimes the fungicide/insecticide used importation. If this is the case, it generally only affects the outer leaf and growth is normal after it unfurls.

On a side note, when I read your title I saw it as "rejects" as in "Refuses to turn out well;" so imagine my surprise when there are such nice plants inside! lol.

xvart.

I was wondering why you put all those in one pot-now it makes sense(not that there is anything wrong with doing that in the first place...)

Joe

Looking good Cindy! Great recovery! Way to go those little guys are looking awesome!

xvart,
Each yellow arrow points to the black growing tip which grew out and opened like a regular leaf. Except that it was severely truncated. These plants were from BE and I am not sure if they use any fungicide/insecticide on them. N. campanulata doesn't like being bagged up for sure. The plants arrived late as they made a detour to the wrong institution for the post-import phytosanitary check. Nearly all of the plants had blackened pitchers and a couple had their growing tips turned black.

Joe,
Till now, even I still find it hard to believe how good this media is for N. campanulata. I repotted several plants before and they actually do not go into shock. Seriously, no signs at all. The plants continue growing like they have not been moved. And because burnt earth is rather loosely packed, I don't even have a root ball to handle. Everything falls apart and all is left are the roots.

Back