What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rootless Clipeata...

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
I just got a Clipeata in the mail, but it's unrooted. I'm currently soaking it in superthrive, just like I handled my rootless Hamata (it's doing fine btw).

I can't find much info on this species. Before I went looking for info, I though it was an ultra lowland, tolerating constant high temperatures (80 -85). I googled it, but all I found is that it likes cool nights, warm days. I'm puzzled. Does it want limestone in the media? Will it do fine in Peat, Perlite, Fine Orchid Bark, Cedar Mulch 2:4:4:1? Or will it rot?

Here's some pics:

1002081557.jpg

1002081556a.jpg

1002081556.jpg

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

That's similar to the mix I'm using, and mine is happy. Good luck! By the way, it looks like you should be able to pull it through.

Capslock

Thanks Max! I'll go with that advice.

Did those Lowii seeds ever sprout for you? Mine haven't yet... :-(

When I got a cutting of clipeata I potted it up in straight perlite and stuck it in my petiolaris tank. Had roots in a couple weeks. It seem to like it hot and humid. My experience anyway.

Hot and humid. Got it!

Thanks Travis!

Well, for something you just 'got' in the mail, you got yourself the most endangered of all nephs. It grows on Mt. Kelam at an altitude of 800 ft. Some classify it as a lowlander, but I do believe that it likes cool nights (unlike lowlanders). Best of luck with it.

I just got a Clipeata in the mail, but it's unrooted. I'm currently soaking it in superthrive, just like I handled my rootless Hamata (it's doing fine btw).

I can't find much info on this species. Before I went looking for info, I though it was an ultra lowland, tolerating constant high temperatures (80 -85). I googled it, but all I found is that it likes cool nights, warm days. I'm puzzled. Does it want limestone in the media? Will it do fine in Peat, Perlite, Fine Orchid Bark, Cedar Mulch 2:4:4:1? Or will it rot?

Here's some pics:

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Your Nepenthes clipeata is not without roots; they are simply small though visible in the photos. Even large established plants of mine have very reduced and /or shallow roots. We're not talking tomatoes here . . .

The plant, like your previous N. hamata will be fine in your compost . . .

Thanks for the reassuring comments. I think I'll see how it responds to crushed coral sprinkled on the surface once it establishes.

Back