What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenges with propogation tray.

So. Did some shopping to prepare for getting some nep seeds in. Here's what I got:

2 bags Long-fibered Sphagum
2 bags 'desert sand mix' (alabaster stone chips, volcanic lava rock, west desert sand, West coast fir bark)
1 bag charcoal.

2 12 x 18 trays + 2 plastic covers
2 150 watt equivalent flourescent lights
2 wide aluminum reflective light thingies. Like, clip on garage lights.

I've still got some construction to do, but I'm worried about the desert sand mix. It's all I've got to work with for local garden supplies, so I decided to give it a benefit of a doubt since it sounds very similar to many other things. I'm no fool, however, and am hesitant to use it in any mix until I consulted you guys. It's recommended use is as a dressing/aerator for cacti.

Secondly, from everything I've read, the lights are almost too bright, so are 150 Watt equivalent CFB's enough/too much? Also, what sort of photoperiod should I allow the seedlings, if any? I figure just leave the lights on forever until they germinate, then start doing day/night cycles. (all bills paid ftw).

I understand LFS is nowhere near ideal, So I'm gonna chop/blend ther hell out of it before mixing it in with other things, hopefully taking care of that. Any other suggestions? Should I bite the bullet and order my sand medium? Orchid bark is available, but I can't remember if it's got miracle-gro in it(like 90% of what's in that store I got this from, including pearlite and milled peat, irritatingly).

I've got to construct a drainage system out of found goods about the house( no real concern, if you've seen my house) and figure out how to perch the lights, otherwise I've got the rest of my ducks in a row! So hopefully I'll have some handsome itsy neps this time next year.

i dont think there's such thing as too bright, but wait for some other experts to comment on that.

This just in: I have re-discovered a bag or crushed coral sand I was using for my triops tank. Is this awesome? [y/n]

That is to say, it's sterile enough for triops, should it be okay for neps?

Also, as far as the light thing goes, I always read that they like partial shade. I figure, even with lights that are too bright, it will help to place them n inches away.

sterile? no its "sterile" enough but its also going to desolve and make the soil high in minerals....skip the sand

Desert and coral? Or will the alabaster/fir not make that much of a difference in mineral content?

both......they are both minerals made of calcium

Nothing wrong with LFS for germinating Nepenthes. The challenge can be removing the seedlings later from the long fibers. Why not just use a mix of sphagnum peat and perlite? or just chop up the LFS a bit?

Back