What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed grown or TC hamata?

Seed grown all the way it may cost more but the plant will be twice the TC plant could ever be, with good conditions. I'm transgressing to all seed grown plants but It's gonna be a while.

given ive had a couple hundred seed grown plants in the last couple years i have to say BS.....ive run across seed grown individuals that were weaker than any TC clone....also ran into some more robust...and most are on par with TC clones...its the gamble of genetics........seed grown IN NO WAY guarantees a more robust plant, infact i think the opposite might be true.....if someone germinates a bunch of seed and sells every one of them while quite small i would say the chances of you getting a weak individual is much higher than with TC......between 3 and 8 months of growth i tend loose about 10% of the total seedlings cause they are rather weak and die off....course part of this is i dont baby my seedlings if i get a bunch....i grow them slightly hard in order to weed out the weaker plants........

The good thing about Borneo Exotics seedgrown Hamata, this year anyway, is that they are from a new location, wont even name the mountain yet, and show very unique characteristics, so if you want a unique Hamata that looks nothing like everyone elses, seedgrown from BE is the way to go, considering they are very limited right now. check out their descripion that they have on the site.

copied from BE's pricelist

These plants originate from a different mountain (as yet undisclosed) from any
Nepenthes hamata released before and their final pitcher coloration is not yet
known although all wild specimens observed were dark. Leaves of adult specimens
are green, although leaf colouration of seedlings is often red. The upper pitchers
have less pronounced claws than the commonly circulated TC clones from Gng.
Lumut and the lower pitchers are generally more robust (larger). Peristomes on
mature plants are sometimes red.

Hey BigBella how are you? You are very lucky to have a seed source for N. hamata. I would give my left testicle to have a pod of viable hamata seed to try and germinate.

Also on the TC being all male; that is what I was told on a discussion on the ICPS website forum about a year ago. All of the Wistuba clones are male. As far as BE goes, I was told they had a foulup with a new employee at there TC lab with the N. hamata clones. Becuase of this they had to destroy there TC hamatas???? Now they are growing seedlings I assume to start there TC hamatas again and also selling seedlings.

lol maca, yes Robert had some issues involving a former partner that provided him with TC plants, which he later cloned in his labs, any plants he had that were from this former partner, or cloned from those plants, had to be destroyed. I do not know if this is why he stopped clones, but it does fit together. he had many other plants that had to be destroyed, and they showed part of it in a BE documentary that was filmed by Siggi or w.e his name is. Very sad issue, but it happens....

Yes SK I saw the video and it was very sad to destroy not only N. hamatas but many other desirable plants. Such a waste!

It was very sad indeed. at the very least he could have ordered the plants be returned to him, rather than destroyed....i just wonder how many species and hybrids had to be destroyed....

What do yarbles go for by the pound these days?

Anyway, thanks for the info about the TC and Borneo Exotics debacle; and I will post when and if I can obtain more Nepenthes hamata and Heliamphora ionasii, tatei var. tatei, or nutans "Giant" seeds.

I had twenty-one out of twenty-three N. hamata seeds germinate in 2006 and have either sold or traded almost all of the plants, save for the one in the photo I posted this morning.

Viability doesn't seem to be much of a problem, but there were clear variations in appearance even among the twenty-one (color, size, etc) and speed of growth -- yet another reason why I really don't buy the supposed "superiority" of seed versus tissue culture. Some did indeed grow faster (for a time) than the TC plants but others lagged far behind.

It's a genetic crap shoot . . .

Anyone know of a reliable link to that B.E. documentary?

Hey BigBella how are you? You are very lucky to have a seed source for N. hamata. I would give my left testicle to have a pod of viable hamata seed to try and germinate.

Also on the TC being all male; that is what I was told on a discussion on the ICPS website forum about a year ago. All of the Wistuba clones are male. As far as BE goes, I was told they had a foulup with a new employee at there TC lab with the N. hamata clones. Becuase of this they had to destroy there TC hamatas???? Now they are growing seedlings I assume to start there TC hamatas again and also selling seedlings.

Wow yes very lucky to have a sourc not only for hamata but also for some macs. I'm not sure I would give as much but I would give a lot. Any way you have some seedlings yet? I think I'm just going to wait on seed growen. Who is to say that they even are really seed growen? Plus you do take a chance. Now I want a purple/blackish hamata. Not a red one.

Belle i can try and send it in an email. shoot me a PM with the email that is best for you.

Wow yes very lucky to have a sourc not only for hamata but also for some macs. I'm not sure I would give as much but I would give a lot. Any way you have some seedlings yet? I think I'm just going to wait on seed growen. Who is to say that they even are really seed growen? Plus you do take a chance. Now I want a purple/blackish hamata. Not a red one.

Well, in terms of the plants being seed-grown, you ultimately have to trust the veracity of that grower (I also don't see seed-grown plants as being terribly especial and would have no motive to tell someone otherwise, since they were traded or given away for the most part); and the seedling N. hamata (I'll try to dig up some photos from back in 2006) were obviously too small then to have been of tissue culture origin. At the very largest, they were only a couple of centimeters across . . .

One of those 2006 Nepenthes hamata now:

Nhamata.jpg

Back