What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few species from my humble abode

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hey guys,

Here are some updated pics of my plants. :)

N.bicalcarata: the pitcher on the left in the background is a little over an year old. The one in focus is the latest one. This newest one is around the size of a coffee cup...if I may say so. The plant has a diameter of a little over a foot now.

2919635315_4d6780bb8c.jpg

N.hamata (wistuba clone 2): A plant from a good friend of mine. No pitchers for the first 3 leaves. Finally it struck and it was worth the wait.

2919591989_ca95a46ca9.jpg

N.talangensis: First proper pitcher. Suffured due to multiple repottings, lack of light for AN YEAR. I got it in october last year. Had a pitcher just as I repotted and this is the first true good, well formed, well colored pitcher. Its a beautiful species.

2920496142_c7c3124501.jpg

N.campanulata: Another plant from my good friend. It started making pitchers from leaf number 2 in my care. This is the pitcher on leaf 3.

2920451974_9a488db4c3.jpg

N.glabrata: The fourth and the most mature looking lower pitcher on my N.glabrata. very creamy looking pitchers on this plant. Almost reminds me of white chocolate. ;)

2873441081_1a5006cb25.jpg

Hope you guys like it. :)

cheers,

Varun

very nice!!! cant wait for my hamatas to grow up xDDD and for my Talangensis start pitching again....mine seems to like lower light levels o_O

I don't even want to breathe near talangensis. lol! it took an yr for me to make this nice pitcher. No wonder its soo used in hybrid creation....its a magnificent species. mine loves the highest light levels it can get.

Here is a new pitcher on my hamata opened yest. The color change is soo dramatic.

2932103846_536ab42afa.jpg

:drool: I can just hear the hamata saying, "RAWR!!!" :3

Great plants Varun! Wow! I can't even pick a favorite.

Do you let your bical sit in water? Mine only wants to keep 2-3 leaves at a time before they yellow and then completely blacken. It's pitchering, but they only last a few weeks.

Crystal

Beatiful plants, and great photographs! The glabrata is my favorite.

thanks guys! :)

@ crystal: Thanks! The bical grows in 100% LFS. The pot is an 8 inch round pot and for the most part the surface live sphagnum is dry.....I do water regularly (once or twice a week) and make sure that a few drops of water drip from the drain holes. Give me a breakdown of your conditions, your lighting, your watering, your media etc.

2931347231_7018cae6d0.jpg

Thanks V. I'll PM you. Don't wanna hijack your thread :).

Beautiful plants, and fantastic pictures. Great vivid colors. I love your talengensis - those are the most vivid colors I've seen on one. So what are the conditions you grow these plants in? Light, etc.

Yea I would like to hear your growing conditions too my talengensis is small and does pitcher but it is green and nowhere near as good looking as yours. Not only that but the rest of your plants look great as well! Especially the Glabrata and bicalcarata!

Varun your plants are looking superb! can't believe how fast the bical has grown and your highlanders are looking just as good.

:drool: My baby bical doesn't even have fangs!

inspirational!
I want my bical to look like that so bad!
tell us about your lighting

great neps!!!!!!!!
hamata looks great, should be a BEAST soon.
I'm glad you gave them more light to thrive under.
You should try a hybrid or 2 some time:)
peace,
zero

Very nice nepenthess vraev and nice N.bicalcarata each pitcher looks so good I can't wait till mine gets pitchers like that also your N.hamata, N.talangensis, N.campanulata, and N.glabrata are very nice my favorites out of the five is N.bicalcarata, N.talangensis, and N.hamata nice pitchers.

Hello everyone,

WOW! I didn't expect this big of a response. Thanks soo much. Glad that you guys like it.

So now to answer questions. As I just sent Crystal a PM with more explanation:

Conditions:

Temps: 75F max, min 60F [ just 2 weeks ago....mins were around 55F and max was like 70F as I was living in a basement for the past 4-6 months. Plants love cool temps!! ]

Lighting: -variable- Most are under full spectrum lighting: Bical is lit by a 6500K single 27 watt compact flouroscent | The highlanders are under a 2 bulb light fixture with a combo of plant bulb (closest GE gro & Sho) and a full spectrum light.

Humidity: 75% max and 50% min | ANOTHER KEY!!! Crystal...I forgot mentioning this. Plants from my experience and from notes from the other experts here (my dear friend Av8tor1 ;), Max{capslock} and others ) hate constant humidity. Don't leave them cooped up in a closed container. Air circulation is very . Either get a humidifier or do something... Initial pitchers will suffer. Many pitchers might open prematurely...but plants will adjust and get stronger. BUT, obviously a balance is needed. Watch the plant. Understand its cues. If it gets too dry...the plants will wither away. Bical is very very unforgiving. It will go jet black on ya within minutes. Everyone has to find the balance for their own plant. These are living beings. They are unique in their own right. Don't give me "no they are clones...they are all same." Well...they are not all getting the same micro environment.

Media: -variable- Lowlanders: 100% LFS | highlanders: 70% LFS, 30% orchid bark, charcoal, perlite

BTW...correction: the BICAL DIAMETER is 1 to 2 FEET. opps!!! :p

Hope that helps. My meters have broken down...so temps, humidity has a bit of error range in it...but until I can buy one....this is all I know.

@zero,

Lol! its true... I don't have any hybrids in my collection. I sold away my ventrata and miranda. ;)

LOL! naah man! I won't even dare getting into hybrids as there are too many. THe possibilites are endless. I do want a few though. A few which I would soooooo like to get. N.predator: N.truncata x hamata, N.lowii x N.truncata or the other way, N. x trusmadiensis, N. Leibh : N. veitchii x N. hurreliana, N.veitchii x N.lowii, N.burbdigeae x N.edwardsiana, N x kinabaluensis.

But well...I am happy and thankful for my progress. :) i still need a lot of light though. SOme plants are not shown here for a reason. THey need light to grow properly. :( I am still in plans of making a new setup. :( I am planning a tank.

excellent looking plants V, my goodness mate

simply outstanding!
Av

lol B! thanks soo much mate. :)

where did you get the shelf? what brand is it? Any pics of the entire setup?

this is my grow shelf. In that empty space I used to have a huuge miranda. lol! I sold it away for 20$ as it was taking too much room. I can't take a pic now as I mentioned yest that I am at my parents house today and the plants are in my apartment.

2922473506_48bcc7c333.jpg

But the shelf I got from Home Depot for like 30$. The lights you see are the ones I use.....ppl didn't believe my bical grows under a CFL?? check it out!! its LAMP! lol! the lights inside are GE britestick warm white and GE britestick plant and aquarium 'gro & sho'.

Back