What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby Ed.

wow! Just spectacular Max. Truly awsome. Yours is truly loving your conditions. :) I can only hope and count my stars that some day...one fine day...a representative of this species will grace my humble abode. :)

yeah i hope one day i can find a source for this magnificent plant. For now, my young seedgrown Macrophylla as well as SG Hamata will be the pride of my collection....I am truely envious of those people with this amazing plant.

Dilute fertilizer in the pitchers?

Cheers,

Joe

The Griffin,
I just gave mine the best conditions I could and I really didn't mess with it much. After almost two years I think mine has finally settled in. The pitchers are getting big enough now where I give them a little dilute fertilizer. I have feed the pitchers a few times this way. I think it is helping.

Excellent plant there capslock!
That next pitcher should look awesome!
I knew there were others out there. I would like to see how Jeremiah's is doing.

JMatt

I fertilize many of my Nepenthes, Sarracenia and Cephalotus plants with 1/4 to 1/2 strengh balanced fertilizer via the pitchers. I do this once or twice a month. I've had pretty good results with all of them. I have to use a small insulin needle for very tiny pitchers.
JMatt

For the record, I use Maxsea seaweed fertilizer on all my neps once a month, from seedlings to flowering plants, including this edwardsiana. They all seem to like it. I prepare the fertilizer as described on the container - 1 tsp per gallon, and I water the plants with it like I was normally watering them.

Capslock

For the record, I use Maxsea seaweed fertilizer on all my neps once a month, from seedlings to flowering plants, including this edwardsiana. They all seem to like it. I prepare the fertilizer as described on the container - 1 tsp per gallon, and I water the plants with it like I was normally watering them.

Capslock

I heard that sphagnum doesn't seem to mind maxsea. If someone can locate the thread where some said it seemed to have no effects on the sphagnum.

Where should I check for maxsea? I haven't seen any at my local hardware store.

I have fertilized some Nepenthes that way before, but wasn't sure if you could long term. I guess if you don't go too crazy it can be a good thing.
I should try it lightly with my edwardsiana, just a little nervous.
JMatt

J said:
wasn't sure if you could long term. I guess if you don't go too crazy it can be a good thing.

I will open by saying I do not fertilize, mostly cause I am just not that committed but I would think that being in a free draining media if you were to do it you should be fine because the rest of your normal waterings should flush any excess and prevent build up in the pots.

Last edited:
I fertilize with maxsea once a month and the pots that have live sphagnum don't seem to mind.
I flush all the pots the next day with RO water.
this is the best sphagnum I have in a nep pot right now
TRUNCATA3.jpg

Back